Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

13 Posts

September 26th, 2022 08:00

It can't recharge. Dell G7 17 7790

Hi,

over the weekend I was changing the thermal paste (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extrem) and a problem appeared. Under load (game), the computer does not have time to recharge and within an hour the fully charged battery is completely discharged and the computer turns off. I never had a problem with it until then. As soon as I have the computer on the Internet, the movie.... It charges normally.

Oh, and the temperatures are around 90°C on the CPU and 75°C on the GPU

Thanks.

13 Posts

Yes I understand, the problem is that I start playing with the adapter connected and the battery fully charged, but it gradually drains to zero and the computer shuts down. I've noticed something similar before, but the battery drained to maybe 60% under a really heavy load, but it stayed there. I was still functioning normally on Saturday. I just changed the paste on Sunday and this is happening and I don't know if it could be related or if it's just a coincidence.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

Your model is designed to run with Hybrid Power. When under heavy load with CPU-intensive and GPU-intensive tasks such as video editing or gaming, the laptop draws power concurrently from both AC adapter and battery. 

When the battery charge falls below 10%, Hybrid Power is disabled, and system performance will drop.

So, it's normal that you'd see a sudden change in system performance as the battery charge level fell below 10%. And, I'd expect that to happen more quickly now than in the past, since your system is likely a couple of years old and battery has worn to the point that it no longer holds as much charge as it used to.

So, everything you described sounds normal. except that I would expect just a sudden drop in performance rather than a shut down.

No Events found!