Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 26th, 2018 16:00

Keeping computer plugged in all the time

My laptop is basically used on my desk and is plugged in/charging all the time. Will this type of use negatively effect the battery and shorten its' life? What other positive/negative effects will this have on the laptop?

• 

16.7K Posts

February 27th, 2018 06:00

djfro,

Personally, I keep my laptops plugged in all the time. I have never had any issues.

These batteries can not be overcharged, which means that as soon as they are 100% charged, they stop charging. These batteries stop receiving energy which is bypassed directly to your laptop's power supply. So, keeping it plugged in won't harm your battery and cause much difference to the overall battery life.

You can click the link below to get some information on this subject.

Should I Leave My Laptop Plugged In All The Time?

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 12:00

Same here! I used to keep it plugged in all the time while using my old Samsung laptop (it has a battery charge limit to only 80%). Now I just bought my new Dell 5593 and I prefer to do the same (leaving the charger plugged) all the time instead of charging the battery multiple times a day.

I work from home and I noticed when using the laptop based on battery the fans keep working and feeling an overheating while working.

Today, I decided to keep the charger plugged even after the battery charged 100%... I see no overheating, no fans running, great performance, and a stable work environment.

Hope this can help someone.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2021 22:00

Same here. I also do the same with my Dell Inspiron 3501.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 19th, 2021 07:00

Dip1991

Please view information in the video below, hopefully it will help answer your question.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2022 08:00

No, I don't basically do that all the time. but during gaming, it is recommended to plug in your pc while gaming.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 23rd, 2022 09:00

And let me add that I too keep my laptop plugged in constantly and my wife does the same with her laptop with no adverse battery effects.

8 Posts

April 6th, 2023 11:00

I had to replace 2 swollen batteries on the same precision 5510, and the tech on the phone told me it's because I overcharge my battery!!  Not sure what's causing the swelling - bad batteries, the way I use the laptop (always plugged in) or what

No Events found!