Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

7 Posts

April 20th, 2019 11:00

Key is about to expire

Hi,

On a dell inspiron I am getting this error" Windows key is bout to expire".

From service taq I found that the factory os was windows 8 educational edition.When I bought it it came with win10 pro.What can I do?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

You should clean install Windows 10 using Windows 10 Version 1809 Installation Media: https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/ It will automatically input your Product Key embedded in your systems UEFI BIOS and clean install Windows 10. If you have a Windows 7 CoA, you can manually input this Product Key during installation.

7 Posts

Windows 8 pro installation asks for a key. Using the key tool I found out that the bios has windows 7 pro oem.If I install win 7 pro it will be activated?

7 Posts

Thabx for the reply The win 10 pro is from Volume License code.Will it work?

7 Posts

April 21st, 2019 02:00

Hi, I did a fresh installation of windows 10 and I get this message: We can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. Please advise.

5.6K Posts

April 21st, 2019 08:00

@pierre998 wrote:
Hi, I did a fresh installation of windows 10 and I get this message: We can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. Please advise.

During installation did you skip the part asking for product key?

Then after Windows 10 is installed, that is when you activate.

7 Posts

April 21st, 2019 12:00

Yes, I skipped the enter key during installation. I tried to activate it after windows 10 was installed but still no luck. So I used the dell tool and from that it downloaded the windows 8 iso, booted from it and it asked me for a key during installation (!!!!). I found a work around so that it won't ask me for a key during installation and after installing windows 8 still it won't activate, even if the laptop has a windows 8 sticker on the back-side. I assume that If at least I manage to activate windows 8 I will be able to upgrade to windows 10. But still no luck :(

5.6K Posts

April 21st, 2019 16:00

@pierre998 wrote:
Yes, I skipped the enter key during installation. I tried to activate it after windows 10 was installed but still no luck. So I used the dell tool and from that it downloaded the windows 8 iso, booted from it and it asked me for a key during installation (!!!!). I found a work around so that it won't ask me for a key during installation and after installing windows 8 still it won't activate, even if the laptop has a windows 8 sticker on the back-side. I assume that If at least I manage to activate windows 8 I will be able to upgrade to windows 10. But still no luck :(

That is very odd.

I bought 3 used Lenovo Thinkpads with Windows 8 sticker on the bottom from a seller on eBay; the hard drives had been wiped.  I installed Windows 10 and was able to activate all of them.

The Windows 10 Pro key was probably a VLK but those needed to be reconnected to the software license server every 180 days.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 21st, 2019 22:00

Windows 8 activation mechanisms are inferior to Windows 10 activation mechanisms... as Microsoft addressed several issues broguht up with Windows 8 in Windows 10.

Please install RWeverything and launch it, select Access then ACPI tables and let me know if you have a MSDM tab:

http://rweverything.com/download/

7 Posts

April 21st, 2019 23:00

Hi Philip,

It doesn't have the MSDM tab.

7 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 14:00

I installed windows 7 oem and it still asks for a key!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 22nd, 2019 14:00

No MSDM tab = No Windows 8.x OEM or Windows 10 OEM Key...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 24th, 2019 09:00

What model of Inspiron is this e.g. Inspiron 660? Windows 7 Pro OEM Installation Media from Dell won't ask for a key and will activate using OEM-SLP if your system has a SLIC Version of 2.1 (Select Access then ACPI tables and look for a SLIC). Microsoft Windows 7 Installation Media will ask for a Product Key.
No Events found!