jcm48
2 Bronze

Keyboard keys chipping paint

I purchased a new Inspiron 15-inch 2-in-one laptop in December of last year, and by April the paint on several keys (white paint on black keys) began chipping off. After "discussing" (that is, battling) with customer support and demanding to speak to a supervisor, they finally agreed that this shouldn't happen so quickly, and they replaced the laptop. Now it's happening again! I got the new laptop in April, and the paint started chipping off in July.

I don't have long fingernails...I don't abuse the keyboard...I don't even have lotion on my hands when I type...I cannot figure out why this keeps happening.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice??

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mary G
7 Thorium

Re: Keyboard keys chipping paint

Search for Keyboard keys chipping paint and you'll see some good, some ingenious and some really weird suggestions. Not sure any of them would work for you. Cheapest do it yourself one that would drive me crazy- https://itstillworks.com/12398874/how-to-restore-a-laptop-keyboard

I don't think this is caused by nails. Who types with his/her nails? I think is it caused by the oils in a user's skin. I had a friend who did this to every KB. It is unusual to happen so quickly however. 

0 Kudos
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

jcm48,

Could you post a picture of the paint coming off the keyboard? 

0 Kudos
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

jcm48,

Could you post a picture of the paint coming off the keyboard?

0 Kudos
glitchhh
2 Bronze

Hey Jesse,

I have this same exact problem. My laptop is 9 months old and seen intermittent usage and my the paint on my "S" key has began to peel off.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Thank you.

0 Kudos
gwtang
2 Bronze

I have the same problem with my Dell XPS 13 model 7390 laptop. The white paint on some of the keyboard keys started to come off. Here is a picture. Dell customer support has not been very helpful. Did you have your problem resolved? 

37A30112-4D91-4CA5-8B26-E685E6B7987E.jpeg

0 Kudos
Kflash08
3 Argentum

Do you use the keyboard a lot? Heavy usage of the keyboard will eventually wear down the plastic keys. My last laptop, a 2015 HP, had some wear on the keys. However, it, as well as the Acer laptop that I had before it, never lost any of the printing off of the keys, even though the plastic was smooth and glossy from years of use. I'd suggest that you use an external keyboard if you want to keep the laptop's keyboard in good looking condition, and just use the laptop's keyboard for minor use or when the external keyboard is unavailable.
0 Kudos
tranta
2 Bronze

I am not at impressed about the shoddy paint work on my XPS 13 9300.  I experienced paint deterioration on my Alpine white keys after 3 months of use.  Dell support was going to replace the keyboard, but I canceled the service appointment since it was during a period when COVID-19 cases were rising in my city.  I plan to get it replaced before my 1-year warranty is up.  Since then, a total of 4 keys have been affected.  A few users noted this was a problem under heavy use, but it should have nothing to do with usage.  I have a 15-year old Toshiba laptop with have absolutely no key wear and also had an HP work laptop for years without a single problem.  This is an absolutely unacceptable quality defect for a Dell product. Please fix your process or supply issues!PXL_20210424_172110686~2.jpg 

0 Kudos
fireberd
8 Krypton

I've had several keyboards that the paint wore off of some keys, what I would consider prematurely.  One was an Acer laptop (in Win 7 days) and the other was a Microsoft wireless desktop keyboard.  Just a comment that its not just Dell's.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
tranta
2 Bronze

Sure Dell may not be the only brand with this problem, but it reflects poorly on the brand.  This is my first time buying a $2000 laptop and I get this kind of quality?  It's unacceptable.  I'm also trying to compare apples to apples here.  A desktop keyboard isn't the same thing.  Many aren't backlit and the letters rub off easily.  That happens frequently, yet there are still are good keyboards that are very durable.  I'm comparing a $2000 Dell laptop to even a $1000 laptop or my 2013 Macbook Air which is a much more fair comparison to the XPS 13 and to that respect, it has been very disappointing.  I am not even going to go into how bad the touchpad is on the XPS 13 9300.  That's another topic, but another defect nonetheless and not something you would expect from a Dell flagship product. 

0 Kudos