Highlighted
MtnSquid
1 Copper

Keyboard not working on Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series

I searched thru the community and Internet and could not locate a fix for my keyboard not working...alot of ideas but none worked.

I just found a fix and want to share it.....if the left side of your laptop keyboard is not working (including the caps light not being lit) on the Inspiron 15, 5000 series, do this.....

1. Turn the laptop off

2. Disconnect any USB's to the computer

3. Disconnect the power cord

4. Remove the battery

5. Wait 5 seconds then open the lid and press the on button and hold down for 15 seconds. This resets your BIOS

6. Replace battery and with power cord an USB's still unplugged, turn machine back on and your keyboard should be working normally once again.....then plug in power cord and USB's.

Worked like a charm for me....hope it helps you too.

9 Replies
NoMadValues
1 Copper

Re: Keyboard not working on Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series

MtnSquid.

I have to admit that I was skeptical to try your solution. But after resetting all of Windows and Dell's setting, doing a restore point back a couple days and ultimately, reinstalling Windows to see if that would solve it. Nope. All a waste of time. I was about to order a new keyboard intill I stumbled across your post about 30 minutes ago. 

So, thank you for posting your solution. It fixed my PC's keyboard in a matter of a couple minutes. 

Thanks Again

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Did not work. Still I can not find " at symbol )arroba in spanish, and other symbols do not correspond to my key board symbols

0 Kudos
MrSelfdestruct
1 Copper

Did a restart and my keyboard just quit working. Tried a couple things with no result. This worked like a charm! Nice fix 👍

0 Kudos
Kgkathy
1 Copper

Thank you so much for the info. It worked like a charm! I had thought it was irreparable and thought I’d give it one last shot. Saved me a lot of money and grief.

0 Kudos
SpiveAlive
1 Copper

Thank you for posting! Just before finding your post, I thought, "Maybe I should completely turn off my computer and see if that corrects the problem." I usually just put it to "sleep" every evening. For my case, simply restarting worked; but good to have your experience as a fix to use of this happens in the future.
0 Kudos
geegee.creemz
1 Copper

How do I remove the battery? I'm having sticky keys where A, D, and F work, but they only create one integer; if i hold it down, it only creates one A, D, or F. 

But more importantly, how do I remove a battery for the Inspiron 15000?

0 Kudos

geegee.creemz,

Click the link below and choose your computer model. Once you have chosen your computer model you can click to download the online manual. The manual provides information for removing/replacing parts.

Dell Drivers, Downloads and Manuals.

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
RC Santa Claus
1 Copper

Followed your instructions but could not find the PN for the back lit keyboard for my Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5567). Service Tag: <Service tag removed> Express Service Code: <Express service code removed>
0 Kudos
Mosiba
1 Copper

Hi guys, I tried this on my Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 series, because the letters 'L' and 'O' were not working on my laptop. It worked for me as well. Just a note for anyone else who gives it a try, when you snap the battery cover off, it feels like you're going to break it. Don't be scared, just go slow, and it does work. Also, when you take the battery out, it is still attached to the laptop by a couple of wires, so what you're doing is flipping the battery out but NOT TAKING IT AWAY FROM THE LAPTOP ALTOGETHER. OP, and the rest of you guys who suggested it, thank you very much. Good luck! (SEE?! My letters L and O are working like magic!!!)
0 Kudos