Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2018 06:00

Laptop beeps on startup

I am using a Dell Inspiron 5558 for 3 years (this is the 4th year). Since yesterday it has started beeping on startup. There are exactly 5 beeps. And once the OS is loaded, the beeping stops. What can be the problem and what is its solution?

PS: My laptop is dual booted (Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)

• 

16.7K Posts

October 1st, 2018 06:00

gmn0105,

Replace the cmos battery in the system. 

Click the link below to download the online manual for removing/replacing parts within your computer.

Dell Inspiron 5558 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

Beep Codes - Inspiron 15/5558/5551 

Codes

The computer might emit a series of beeps during startup if the LCD cannot display errors or problems. The following repetitive beep codes help the user troubleshoot problems with this computer.

Beep Code Overview
Beeps Description Possible Cause
1 BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure System board failure; covers BIOS corruption or ROM errors.
2 No memory (RAM) detected Memory or memory slot failure
  • Chipset Error (North and South Bridge error; DMA/IMR/Timer error)
  • Time-of-Day Clock test failure
  • Gate A20 failure
  • Super I/O chip failure
  • Keyboard controller test failure
System board failure
4 Memory read/write failure Memory failure
5 Real-Time Clock (RTC) power failure CMOS battery failure
6 Video BIOS test failure Video subsystem failure
7 CPU Cache test failure Processor failure
8 LCD LCD failure

3 Posts

October 1st, 2018 08:00

Just one more thing...Is it ok if I replace the battery in December or do I need to urgently replace it? I am kind of busy for 2 months and will also be traveling. Also, now that I know the problem, is there any way to disable the beep sound as it is very loud and disturbs everyone around.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 1st, 2018 09:00

There's no harm in waiting, but the only way to disable the beeping is to replace the CMOS battery.  If that doesn't stop the problem, it's the clock chip that has failed - which will mean a replacement mainboard is needed.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2018 20:00

Can you please provide me a link or a some model and brand of cmos battery so that I can order it.

November 17th, 2021 22:00

You can Order A new keyboard for your laptop 

No Events found!