Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

5 Posts

February 21st, 2019 06:00

Laptop dell inspirion 5558 won't turn on

Hello, my laptop won't turn on at all, not even the fan starts to spin. When I plug in the charger,  the light (with battery simbol on it) turns on for a sec and goes off, like there is no power at all. Same happens when I put out battery and put it in again. Does anyone know what may be the problem?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 21st, 2019 07:00

Thank you for your message. Does the light on the AC adapter stay on when connected to the notebook?

Disconnect the power cord, remove the battery, press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds (to release static)

Connect the battery & power cord back in & check if the light on the AC adapter stays on & try to start the computer.

Try to wiggle the AC adapter cable near the port on the notebook & check if the system responds.

This could be an issue either with the DC in port or the motherboard. If it is a hardware issue, try replacing the DC in the cable as that is a low-value part.

February 21st, 2019 09:00

I have tried that, and the problem is not in the Adapter or battery. When I plug in the adapter the battery  light on the  laptop goes on for a sec and then turns of... Every time I do that it happens

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 21st, 2019 11:00

This seems to be an issue with the motherboard.

Try taking out the CMOS battery by following the manual here (page 36), keep the CMOS out at least for a minute.

Put the CMOS back in & connect only the AC adapter & start the computer. If the issue persists, it will be a motherboard issue.

January 9th, 2021 05:00

I have the same issue with my Inspiron 5558 and I found this thread that describes the exact same issue on Inspiron 5578.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-15-5578-power-button-issue-and-CMOS-battery/td-p/6109343

My Inspiron 5558 manages to boot up as well *only* after removing the CMOS/Bios battery for 1-2 minutes.
The laptop is on latest Bios (A18) and all diagnostics that I have run on it show no issues.

I have tried using another battery, as well as a new power adapter with no luck.

I hope that helps.
-i.

February 5th, 2021 11:00

Just in case someone else finds that helpfull in the future: I manage to fix my laptop by changing the power-board.

I have my Inspiron 5558 up and running fine again. Although it was a bit painful to change the power-board, as I had to dismantle almost the whole laptop to reach it. A good ~2h job!

Cheers,
-i.

1 Message

July 11th, 2023 06:00

Hello I just had this issue. I've been using the laptop for 7 years.

By power board, do you mean the powerButton power board. 

I hope you see this and give a reply.

Thanks in advance

No Events found!