Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2020 09:00

Laptop not turning on while the internal display adapters are plugged off the motherboard

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. My laptop's main (internal) display is broken and I don't want to replace it as it's 6 years old. I would rather buy a new one later. So, I am using the monitor display of my old computer via HDMI cable on my laptop to use it as my main display. But, I want to totally get rid of the internal display including the upper cover of laptop, and use only the half part with main computer and keyboard. When I opened my laptop and tried unplugging everything on the other half, which included display portion and a WLAN card with antenna attached to the top of display, the laptop didn't turn on with the 'bip-bip' sound that it makes if something isn't right. After that, I tried unplugging one cable only at a time one by one and found that if I unplug the display part, it doesn't work but unplugging the WLAN part let's the laptop on with no Wi-Fi. Actually, I don't need a WiFi either as I use my laptop as a desktop on a desk with LAN cable (Rj-45 jack) attached.
So, I need help with my laptop. Shall I just cut off the display cable keeping the switch attached to the motherboard or will it kill my laptop? I mean, it won't actually kill but might it not allow me to use external display if the internal display is disrupted somehow?

I tried unplugging and plugging again the display cable, and now, my laptop won't start. I only see a boot command thing on my HDMI connected display monitor (after a second of pressing power button) which lasts for like 0.1 seconds and then black screen appears with the hardware error sound of laptop. I think I messed the display cable while doing plug unplug... I googled and found out the beeping sound's meaning. It was beeping 8 times which meant the LCD error. That sures that I messed up the display wire I guess. But it beeps 8 times again when I disconnect the display cable.

A quick help would've been appreciated. I can't use my laptop at the moment. Thanks in advance.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2020 09:00

Hello sir. The problem is now fixed. I unplugged every wires of the display including the cameras and then looked for a cut. I actually found one but I didn't have to attach those. I just taped it all together and reconnected all wires, then it was able to boot. In short, problem is fixed. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it. You can now close this thread.

5.6K Posts

September 18th, 2020 10:00

You need to get the laptop back to where it actually boots up.

Yes, you may have damaged a connector or flex cable. You have the laptop. You need to check for damage. We can't do anything.

4 Posts

September 18th, 2020 10:00

I actually tried to unplug it from the back of the lcd. Before that, it was working. But is it possible to fully detach the internal display and use the external monitor as the main display? I don't want to change my display as the laptop is too old.

5.6K Posts

September 18th, 2020 11:00

Apparently for this model you can't completely detach the LCD display. It's a moot point since it appear it won't boot at all now.

1 Message

June 12th, 2021 15:00

Hi There I am running into the exact same issue, I looked at your response but I didnt understand what you mean by looked for a cut? Did you just unplug all the cables from the LCD?

4 Posts

June 12th, 2021 18:00

There was some internal cuts in the wire invisible from the outside. When I randomly tried pressing at the suspected regions of the wire, the two ends of wires probably touched each other, making it work. Hope you understood. 

No Events found!