Highlighted
jackavix
1 Nickel

Laptop overheating fan not responding - Dell Inspiron 7559

Hello,

Recently my Dell Inspiron 7559 (Specs at bottom) began to overheat, without fans responding. This appeared suddenly and I cannot recall its conjunction with any installation/alteration of software. The fans did not seem to be working.

First thing  - the fans are cleaned regularly.

BIOS - the last update for BIOS (~ may)  I encountered an error during installation, and the installation prompts disappeared. I only realized recently it still needed to be installed (support assist doesn't always open). This update did not fix my fan issues. 

I downloaded "Speedfan" application.  Sort of works -  can control fans but doens't work automatically. It also interferes with audio causing stuttering sounds (no forums have been able to resolve this). Speedfan told me my processers are easily getting to 70 to 80 degrees celcius. 

I then manually reset BIOS to factory settings (I had previousl customised it to remove other audio issues I faced). Following this, my fans appeared to be intermittently working, but not consistantly.

From boot menu, I ran system diagnostics. The fans responded to the diagnostic tests, and so did the thermal sensors. 

I performed hardware/software checks through supportassist and dell online. Found no issues.

Last night, I uninstalled dell power manager lite, and reinstalled Dell Power Manager, thinking I would have thermal control. I didnt; but the fans did start to turn on. However they were running almost constantly at high speed, and the system was not really cooling down very well (suggesting to me a deeper problem). 

A comment - the audio stuttering while speed fan is running happens eveyr 10 seconds or so. When I first got my laptop I had similar stutters. I cant recall how I rectified it but I recall changing a BIOS setting.  Since resetting my BIOS recently, I now get audio issues of the same kind even without speedfan, albiet every 10 minutes rather than seconds. This again makes me think there is a link.

I also reformatted windows about 3 months ago entirely - fresh install - after a major system crash. 

Last note  - I am recently studying overseas in Japan. I do not speak the language and am not familiar with repairs and things here. I am very wary to take my laptop to a service place unless I have strong communication with a repair person. there is a lot of important data which is backed up but I cant afford for work to go without a comptuer at the moment

Thank you,

Jack

There are some other longterm issues I have had with my computer for a long time which may be related, however were not signifcant enough for me to prompt error:

Occaisionally seems to "freeze", where the screen goes black and wont respond, although still says online. I have had this problem since I got the laptop, except it was every few weeks. Now it has been once every two days since overheating.
Every few months, it wont turn off and runs very hot (again had from the first few weeks I got it). Only way to turn it off is to remove the battery.
Extreme ram/cpu usage from a variety of programs (avira, superfetch). I've googled this extensively, all telling me to remove particular programs. Doesn't work. Even reformattted my computer and it didn't solve it.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Processor @ 2.60GHz
RAM
8.00GB
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0H0CC0 (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 530 (Dell)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (Dell)