Skitofpro
1 Copper

Laptop switches to integrated graphics while gaming low fps

SO recently every time I play a game after 5 minutes of playing my fps start to drop from 100+ fps to 30- fps and it will stay like that for about 15 seconds, then it will go back up for about 30 seconds and then the cycle repeats itself.

I did some testing and found out the my dedicated GPU's usage will go from 90% all the way down to about 15% and the integrated graphics will take the load of the game going to 100%, It happened out of nowhere. My CPU usage is fine and GPU temperature only goes up to 85 degrees, and when I did a stress test (the one on dells support page) my GPU usage stayed up and never went down, It only happens when Im gaming. I also checked task manager when the performance went down and no app was taking resources.

Rebooting doesn't fix the issue and I even reinstalled windows and still the same problem, I need help please.

Dell Inspiron 7577

Core i5 7300HQ

GTX 1060 maxQ

8GB Ram

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Laptop switches to integrated graphics while gaming low

This is largely game-dependent.  Try lowering the video settings on the game, which will reduce the heat and therefore the cycling.  This is an entry-level gaming system -- it will not play demanding games at high video settings.

0 Kudos
Skitofpro
1 Copper

Re: Laptop switches to integrated graphics while gaming low

I play Fortnite at High with 120+fps and it the cycling still happens, and before this issue started happening I finished the Witcher 3 at high with no issues at all, this just started happening out of nowhere 

0 Kudos