Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2019 08:00

Lights? No power lite. No battery lite. No network activity lite. No drive light. No lights?

I'm beyond disappointed ... my new DELL has no lights.   

Dell Inspiron 17 3780 i3780-5032BLK 17.3" Laptop Computer, Intel® Core™ i5-8265U

My response to "How do you like your new machine?

No lights.  If you want lights.  Don't get DELL. 

53 Posts

June 19th, 2019 02:00

Well, here's an update....

1) I observed light was solid white and battery Icon reports "10 min to fully charge".  
I pulled adapter plug and light goes out and plug symbol on battery tray Icon disappears.
I plugged in adapter plug, plug symbol returns and battery Icon reports "10 min to fully charge".

2) I observed light go out and battery Icon reports "Fully charged (100%)".

Since,
Battery-status light now appears to function as per Service Manual page 106.
> Solid white = Power adapter is connected and the battery has more than 5 percent (less than 100 percent) charge. 
> Off = Power adapter is connected and the battery is fully charged. 

Now,
I'm wondering what blinking light was trying to tell me.

Is there a status light blinks history log? 
png_272.png My light (next to power adapter plug) was sure acting like a network activity light. 
 Open browser -- light blinks. 
 Download file -- light blinks.  

Light appeared to mirror modem/router light. 

And now light is sure acting like Battery light.  

Comments?
Is there a Battery-status light blinks history log?  

53 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 08:00

Well, here's an update....

Today I observed light next to power adapter plug was blinking white.  Power adapter is plugged in and battery indicates Fully charged (100%).

So, what does blinking white light mean?  I cannot discern LED blink code...if that is what blinking light is trying to convey.

IMO.
It's a real shame ....DELL does not contribute to the DELL Community.

...and DELL Sales told me DELL Support has the best support.  

9.4K Posts

June 24th, 2019 06:00

Hi bjm,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected, however it does sound like it's working as designed.

Have you been able to run a systems diagnostics yet?  Please check for hardware issues by running the diagnostics by either pressing F12 at startup or by running Dell SupportAssist.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

53 Posts

June 24th, 2019 07:00

@robert p wrote:

Hi bjm,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected, however it does sound like it's working as designed.

Have you been able to run a systems diagnostics yet?  Please check for hardware issues by running the diagnostics by either pressing F12 at startup or by running Dell SupportAssist.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Working as designed?   Please share why led randomly occasionally blinks with power adapter plugged in and battery at 100%.  Per user guide....light is off with power adapter plugged in and battery at 100%.  

Please share why power adapter led is the only light.   No power light, no sleep indicator, no activity indicator.  

Machine is new one month.  I've played with DELL SupportAssist from Windows environment and from Recovery environment. 

No power lite. No battery lite. No network activity lite. No drive light. No lights?

My first DELL.  My last DELL.  My $.02.

Regards w Respect

9.4K Posts

June 24th, 2019 11:00

Would be happy to discuss further, however in order to assist, I'll need your Service Tag Number, Name, Address, Email and Telephone Number.  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 24th, 2019 12:00

@bjm_ 

I need a bit more info??

Does your laptop AC jack have a center pin like this???

IMG_4901#2.jpg

Regards,

U2

53 Posts

June 24th, 2019 12:00

@robert p wrote:

Would be happy to discuss further, however in order to assist, I'll need your Service Tag Number, Name, Address, Email and Telephone Number.  Thanks.

PM sent. @robert p 

53 Posts

June 24th, 2019 15:00

@U2CAMEB4ME wrote:

@bjm_ 

I need a bit more info??

Does your laptop AC jack have a center pin like this???

IMG_4901#2.jpg

Regards,

U2

Yes. 

png_352.png

53 Posts

June 24th, 2019 18:00

Hi @U2CAMEB4ME 

Well, Table 16: Power adapter specifications is from DELL Inspiron 3780 Setup and Specifications document.

My DELL is Staples spec'd.   So, not sure whats what.  

For example.... I have two Intel Optane Apps....but, do not have Optane memory (optional).   

I do find Dell Power Manager and Dell Power Manager Service listed with Apps.
I do find Dell Command Power Manager Notify with Services (Local).  
I do find Dell Command Power Manager Service with Services (Local). 

And just now called "Dell Power Manger" for the first time.    Settings = Adaptive.  
png_357.png

~ my power adapter is always plugged in.  
Maybe, I should change Battery Settings to:
png_358.png

Interesting....so blinking white led is/was Power Manager adapting to my battery usage.  IDK
~ at this time I'm not seeing blinking white led.

June 25th, 2019 01:00

It was probably a malfunction, any product could be faulty.
After all, Dell is still the world's leading brand, especially in the laptop gaming cũ segment such as Dell Alienware, with no product passing it.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 25th, 2019 03:00

Very  good @bjm_ 

I agree it would be best for "Primary AC Use"

Regards,

U2

53 Posts

June 25th, 2019 06:00

Hi @U2CAMEB4ME 

So, what does "Dell Power Manger" do now since my power adapter is always plugged in.

What does "Dell Power Manger" Service do since my power adapter is always plugged in. 

"Dell Power Manger" sure had a lot of bells n' whistles. 

png_370.png

So, the random on occasion blinking white led was indicating "Dell Power Manger" managing my battery.
Correct me?  

How the heck did you know?  

Now, how about using your skills to get DELL to give me some Led's I can use.  :Wink:

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 25th, 2019 09:00

@bjm_ 

While researching if you had a "SMART" AC I noticed that the specs did not say "SMART" AC???

But the Battery Specs stated 3-cell "smart" lithium-ion (42 WHr)

Then I noticed this:

NOTE: Control the charging time, duration, start and end time, and so on using the Dell Power Manager application.

For more information on the Dell Power Manager see, Me and My Dell on https://www.dell.com/.

That's when I put 2 and 2 together and new that's what it was.

Now I have to do more research into this because "SMART" batteries use the SMBus to communicate???

The SM Bus Controller or System Management Controller is a Chipset on the Motherboard.

Its main purpose is to monitor the board's voltage and temperature.

Could this be part of the problem with "Battery Plugged-in but not Charging???" 

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 26th, 2019 13:00

Your very welcome @bjm_ 

Sorry I could not work some magic and produce some lights for you.:smileysad:

Best regards,

U2

53 Posts

June 26th, 2019 13:00

Hi @U2CAMEB4ME 

Well, I've Accepted Solution   for explaining/clarifying why the light next to my power adapter plug was blinking. 
_

Today, I progressed my 1809 to 1903. I missed the friendly, reassuring, life affirming indicators that I've become so accustomed to seeing. My new DELL machine was a silent black dead box devoid of any indication of life, devoid of any indication that work was occurring during the hour+ long update process.

I remain disappointed that I did not think to question "are there lights".
I remain wanting lights > Power, Power button, Battery, Network activity, Drive activity, etc.
I remain wanting life affirming light.

I remain in the dark sans light.

Regards w Respect

Thanks again @U2CAMEB4ME 

No Events found!