Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2020 09:00

My old inspiron n4050 shuts down when I use the amd graphic

I have a dell inspiron n4050 it has Intel HD graphic and amd switchable graphic , and it was working fine, but something happened and when I use the switchable graphic my laptop shuts down, I took it to a repair shop and they said that the switchable graphic chip pins are coming lose and he would try soldering it with no guarantee that it will work or if my laptop will work again, and I didn't like the solution. Well, that was his speculation, he didn't even open it up, so what do you think is the problem, the laptop works fine with no problems untill I use the switchable graphic, what could be the problem? , should I do what he told me? 

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

May 23rd, 2020 11:00

The diagnosis you were given is very likely correct - but the cost to have a GPU properly resoldered will exceed that of replacing the board (and likely exceed the value of the system in total).  

It's your call - but this isn't a job that can be done with a soldering iron, as there are hundreds of pins that need to be reconnected though a multi-layer circuit board.  In the US, such a repair would easily be at least $300-400.  

You may want to consider a newer, used system - this one has a total used value of between $50-100 complete and working.  Use that as a guide if you price repairs.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

May 23rd, 2020 10:00

Given that replacement boards are in the $50-100 range, it'll be cheaper to simply replace the board.  Also given the age of the system, you might well decide to upgrade to a new (or newer) system rather than repairing this one.

May 23rd, 2020 11:00

I couldn't find a new board and currently with the epidemic, an average laptop in my country cost around 800 $, so my options are to leave it as it is or repair it somehow 

No Events found!