Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

R

8 Posts

May 26th, 2020 08:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

N B Space arrow keys stop working sometimes

Time after time lower part of the keyboard starts missing key presses. Especially keys N B space down arrow.
Previous discussions in this community ended up with conclusions that reinstalling drivers and/or replacing keyboard helps.

However, I believe that this is not the real solutions and here is why:

1. While searching for similar issues I noticed that people in many laptop owner forums (asus, lenovo, hp) have complained about exactly these keys malfunction. And the problem occurs for more than 3 years. I do not think that keyboards are the same on these laptops and for these years.

2. Sometimes missing keypresses come afterward resembling a buffer lag. I.e. You already release the key, but missing symbols come after a second. So this does not seem to be a purely mechanical issue. And the fact that my keyboard works well while writing this message supports this.

3. This may be somehow connected to Skype working on the computer. Right now I have closed Skype and my keyboard works perfectly. But when I start it again keys are not working well.

These observations allow me to conclude that:

1. Even though when specific keys are not working well, this is usually coffee in your keyboard and it requires replacement, a probability that many users of different laptops during years pour their coffee on the same set of keys equals zero.

2. BIOS and drivers issue is more probable, at least playing with drivers reinstallation and registry configuration seem to work, but as the effect does not last long, this is not a solution.

3. In my case, Skype affects keys issue and it has hotkeys that work when your skype app is in the tray. Maybe it starts working as an additional keyboard filter. What does not support this statement is that Skype introduced hotkeys in 2019, but the keys issue was reported long before.

Anyway this seems to be a rare and annoying problem. If someone has the same issue, I would like to ask you to check is there a connection to skype in your case and share if you had this problem solved by other means.

Maybe we still have a chance to avoid unnecessary warranty replacement and loss of time.

(My laptop is Inspiron 5393 manufactured in 2019)

May 26th, 2020 13:00

Correction. My laptop is Inspiron 5593 manufactured in 2019.

1 Message

June 8th, 2020 11:00

I+have+the+same+issue+curretly.+amy+help+would+pe+appreciated

July 4th, 2020 14:00

I have already answered in other thread, but as I'm the author of this one I will copy my text below:

I tried virtually all software options I could find on the net. Drivers, registry buffer sizes, removing unnecessary windows part, upgrading/downgrading BIOS.

I thought initially that it is a software issue because keys are working well, but not all the time. I thought so until I got Ubuntu flash stick and saw n b space etc not working there. So now I think this is a hardware issue.

Maybe Dell should consider if not a recall company, but at least doing something, like accepting problem exists and issuing guidelines describing the situation and showing us the fastest way possible to fix the issue. Like saying that serial numbers from A to B had a hardware issue which causes keys not working etc and requires replacement action or smth.

Reading forums for solutions and try and fail approach is OK for no-name copycat products named DEELL. I hope we are not there yet with our brand new laptops.

It looks like this forum part is a great place for feedback from the manufacturer.

I bought (for peanuts, fortunately) from China a replacement keyboard. Just to be sure that it is a hardware issue.

When you uncover your laptop, you see that keyboard inside a laptop is attached with molten plastic to the body. So you can't just unscrew and replace. You have to disassemble the whole thing, take your soldering iron, and probably your kid's toy as a source of plastic. Are screws so expensive that Dell decided to solder keyboards to the body? It's a replacement part for coffee maniacs like me.

The good news that clarifies the situation is that when I connect a new keyboard, my lovely n b space etc keys work! When I connect back they don't work again. Unfortunately, particularly this replacement keyboard had another set of keys broken. Can't blame Dell for this of course, but maybe it is because this keyboard is flexible as a sheet of paper? Cost-saving is something that must have a limit.

I'm completely disappointed with Dell quality and engineering approach for this product.

July 4th, 2020 14:00

@kazau, From my experience I can only suggest you buy an external keyboard if you need this laptop every day like me or deliver it to a service center for a keyboard replacement.

August 29th, 2020 15:00

News on my situation. As I wrote before, I had an issue with n b space etc keys.

What I did, I ordered a replacement keyboard from China and I've got another set of keys not working on the replacement keyboard. I did not give up and ordered yet another one.

The second replacement keyboard works more or less fine. It costs $20.

What is interesting both defective keyboards, one installed by Dell factory, and another one from Aliexpress had the same manufacturer (according to a sticker on its back): Chicony Elec Co., Ltd. The third one, working, had another no-name brand, to my luck.

Replacing the keyboard is not very complicated (you will need small screwdrivers, a hot glue stick and some patience), but the laptop is designed in the way that replacing the keyboard is not expected because you damage & glue the case (fixation pins) by doing so, so the right way is to replace the "palm rest and keyboard assembly", which is basically the case of the laptop. And by doing so you will probably get another Chicony product as a part of the assembly...

Anyway, it works and I can replace keyboards as many times as I like for a price of a lunch.

February 18th, 2022 13:00

This happened to a user at my work. We pressed fn+esc and the keys started working again. I do not know why. One of the Admins here found this workaround. It only works once the user is logged in. It will not work if user is at login screen. 

1 Message

March 23rd, 2022 15:00

Hi,

Just fixed my Inspiron 5593 which had had the same issues. Dell let me down with the warranty which ended during lockdown #2 (and my wife had to have the computer to work remotely with a program loaded inbetween lockdowns). Really poor product with what seems a common keyboard manufacturing issue. 

I paid £60 for a genuine brand new keyboard and fitted it myself (honestly not that hard and there's always online videos). It is now working again.

Not Win updates, not programming, just really poor quality manufactured keyboards that Dell does know about.

Al

2 Posts

April 17th, 2022 20:00

I have the exact same model with the exact same issue, sometimes the keys don't work or sometimes they work 2 times, this happens only with spacebar, B and N keys, as far as I have noticed

2 Posts

April 21st, 2022 01:00

update: this sometimes happens the arrow keys and question mark as well

1 Message

May 10th, 2022 20:00

I've had this issue for months now. It's clearly a hardware issue as external keyboard works fine and the issue is there on Linux, windows, grub and BIOS. I've even replaced the keyboard and the socket where it gets plugged in. But the problem is still there. Don't know how else to fix this.

1 Message

June 7th, 2022 18:00

I have the same issue. It  is nnot  a hardware probblem as it completely goes  away whenn  i  innstalled   chrome  os   flex. it  is   probbblem   with  dell  and  windows  drivers and they are nnot providinng  solutionns for it. as   you  ca see   i am getting multiple entries sometimes annd   sometimes  its not  working.  in chrome   os flex everything  works just fine.  

2 Posts

June 14th, 2022 13:00

Same issue here. I have a client with the exact same issues that you have described. I have done all the normal and advanced solutions. including changing advanced settings and turning off the AI settings.  So far the only working solution has been one suggested by another user. Hit the fn key and Esc key after a small delay then it seems to work fine.  When I Sign out and then back in it still works.  if I restart and then try it again it comes right back.  Then if you hit the fn and Esc key again it works.  However the double bb and nn return, then you have to fit the fn and Esc key together one more time and then it works like normal.  Very Odd.   This Laptop Is also Dell Model 5593.

2 Posts

June 14th, 2022 13:00

Same issue here. I have a client with the exact same issues that you have described. I have done all the normal and advanced solutions. including changing advanced settings and turning off the AI settings.  So far the only working solution has been one suggested by another user. Hit the fn key and Esc key after a small delay then it seems to work fine.  When I Sign out and then back in it still works.  if I restart and then try it again it comes right back.  Then if you hit the fn and Esc key again it works.  However the double bb and nn return, then you have to fit the fn and Esc key together one more time and then it works like normal.  Very Odd.   This Laptop Is also Dell Model 559

1 Message

January 26th, 2023 23:00

anyluck

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

January 28th, 2023 18:00

If this issue occurs with external keyboard, then this has to be the external keyboard?

Dell keyboard from old dell xps 8100 desktop from back then.

Dell SK 8165 is the keyboard

There is everything you can imagine inside the keys as very dirty.

The thing is i don't want to risk damaging the keyboard as i cannot buy another english keyboard here.  Also want keyboard like this.

As of now, the letters b, n, diagonal, arrow keys do not work.  

So me posting a picture of my keyboard you can give me the best advice here?  Thing is if i was in us now, i can buy another one but can't here so sort of don't want to risk damaging the other keys.

Plugged this keyboard to main laptop and old chromebook.

No Events found!