Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2020 08:00

NVMe installed - How to change Boot order to get it to boot first

Inspiron 15 (5570) running Windows 10, BIOS updated a week ago.  I've searched and all answers found don't appear to be quite the same issue.

Installed a 1TB M2 NVMe, cloned the boot drive.  Both are GPT and have 5 partitions.  When I go into BIOS the boot order is being managed by Windows Boot Manager.  Secure Boot in enabled so I cannot change boot order.  I started to change things in BIOS - but when it got to the point where I had changed several items I backed out of there. 

If someone can send me a link or describe the steps to change the boot order I would sure appreciate it.  Or if I need to supply more information please let me know.

Neale

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

November 8th, 2020 11:00

There's another issue at play here.  Once you clone the drive, you absolutely must not boot the system with both drives connected.  You must remove the original drive from the system before booting the cloned drive the first time so it's signed as your master boot device.  Otherwise, the system will boot from the original drive and not the new one.

It is not necessary to change the system to legacy mode.  You can if you wish, switch off secure boot after cloning, but you cannot have both drives connected when you first boot after imaging.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 8th, 2020 09:00

5.6K Posts

November 8th, 2020 10:00

@Neale F 

The steps you claimed to work for you is right there in that linked page by MaryG. The steps are in the section titled Workaround.

4 Posts

November 8th, 2020 10:00

Didn't work for me.

I followed the steps below (note - you need to do 5 before 4 as Secure Boot needs to be disabled to enable the Legacy Options ROMs.  But it didn't give me any options for changing the startup sequence in the Bios (Windows Boot Manager was still managing it).  So I (tried to) restart to use WIndows Boot Manager and computer wouldn't restart.  Had to undo what I had changed in BIOS.

1. Enter the BIOS by pressing F2 multiple timnes while the Dell Logo is shown.
  2. Navigate to Boot Sequence and set Boot List Option to UEFI
  3. Navigate to SATA Operation and choose AHCI
  4. In Advanced Boot Option you click on Enable Legacy Option ROMs
  5. Set Secure Boot to Disable

Appreciate the link though!

4 Posts

? don't think I said it worked for me??

Looks like I have a path forward on the response below!

4 Posts

This sounds like a good path forward.  I've got another 16GB of memory coming this week - when I open the computer back up to put in the memory I'll disconnect the C drive and boot it from the NVMe. 

Once it boots from the NVMe will it always boot from it (when I reconnect the C drive?)

Neale

5.6K Posts

November 8th, 2020 12:00

@Neale F 

My impression of your post was that you claimed that the steps you listed were the ones that worked for you.

Confusing.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2023 06:00

Upon boot , will it work if i enter bios by pressing f2 and disable the hard disk ? such that it can only boot into the new ssd i installed ?  

2 Posts

January 1st, 2023 08:00

Never mind, I'm not sure if this is an option within bios.

No Events found!