Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2022 08:00

New Battery for Inspiron 14z 5423 shows 100% but actually not 100% and not ccharing

I purchased new battery for my Inspiron 14z 5423. I replaced the old battery with new and charged it to 100% first time while laptop was off. But than I used it on new battery and when the battery reached 70% so I connected the AC adapter to laptop again to charge it. Strangely when I connected the AC adapter, the battery bar directly shows 100% while Laptop is on AC power and battery actually not charging. Because when I remove the adapter, bar is still the same 70% while when again I connect AC adapter, it umps to 100% and the charging light gives one long blink and then goes off.

kindly help.

6 Posts

January 18th, 2022 09:00

The reason battery stay up to 70% and not charge further was due to option Desktop Mode, which wa enabled. Desktop mode helps in disabling the battery to charge up to 100% to maximize the life of the battery. I disabled it as below and it worked:

• Right-click the battery icon on the Windows notification area, and then click Dell Extended Battery life Options
  • The Battery Meter dialog box is displayed, Click the Desktop Mode tab
  • Select the option to disable this feature
  • Then, click OK

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

@IMK wrote:

The reason battery stay up to 70% and not charge further was due to option Desktop Mode, which wa enabled. Desktop mode helps in disabling the battery to charge up to 100% to maximize the life of the battery. I disabled it as below and it worked:

• Right-click the battery icon on the Windows notification area, and then click Dell Extended Battery life Options
  • The Battery Meter dialog box is displayed, Click the Desktop Mode tab
  • Select the option to disable this feature
  • Then, click OK

You have taken actions to decrease the life of your new battery.

Good job!    LOL.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

Is it a genuine Dell battery? I suspect not.

• 

25K Posts

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

6 Posts

Manufacturer is SANYO but Dell power manager shows it as as dell battery.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

Batteries go bad when sitting on the shelf.

Your laptop is 10 years old.

No Events found!