Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

July 10th, 2020 04:00

New Dell Inspiron Laptop - Microphone failing

I purchased a DELL - Inspiron 15 3000 15.6" AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD in November.  When participating in Zoom meetings my microphone fails when I speak initially but picks up after a few seconds.  No one can hear me when I start talking.  I have tried a lot of different settings within Zoom like ticking/unticking the "automatically adjust volume" box but nothing works.  any ideas?

• 

25K Posts

July 10th, 2020 22:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

7 Posts

August 31st, 2020 11:00

We are having the same issue, except we purchased 250 of these and ita happening to almost all of them

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

August 31st, 2020 12:00

have you tried raising the mic boost to +30dB? Right click the sound icon next to the clock>sounds>recording>microphone>properties>levels You should see the mic boost slider below the mic level. slide it to +30dB if you're using the laptop's own mic.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 1st, 2020 03:00

You're not alone as apparently lots of us have this problem. Short term fix is to change the driver from Realtek to the generic Microsoft HD Audio Device in Device Manager. The long term fix is going to take Dell+ Realtek+Microsoft to recognise the problem and fix the drivers.  

January 18th, 2021 12:00

Same here. My office bought 3 Inspiron 17 3000 (Model 3793) and all of us are having the same issue. We've spent considerable time on the phone troubleshooting with Dell. Updated all software, drivers, etc. per their recommendations. Dell is now telling us that the hardware and software are all working correctly, so it must be Zoom, but we have replicated the issue in Microsoft Teams and Google Meet, so that cannot be true. Really hoping they start to take it seriously and create a fix.

1 Message

February 6th, 2021 08:00

My Inspiron 3793 has no "boost" slider.  I called Dell support in November about the failing mic and the technician was able, from his end, to access a slider and boost my levels.  That lasted 2 months but the problem is back and, having NO BOOST SLIDER on my computer I again called support and went through 1.5 hours of watching the tech check the obvious without luck - he does not know how the 1st tech fixed the mic.  So what to do???

1 Message

March 31st, 2021 12:00

My laptop: Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1 

I am having the same problem, the microphone stops working after 10mins of videocall. Have tested with different microphones, no success. Tried to use troubleshooting for sound, done diagnostics on Dell`s website, and follow tutorials to check what was the problem, but none solved it. This really needs to be addressed ASAP. Would Dell be able to contact me regarding this?

1 Message

December 20th, 2021 22:00

Please send me a private message about how to fix this, as you did for the first user. My Dell laptop is 2 weeks old and I cannot use the microphone on Zoom. The sound works, the drivers are up to date. But the microphone tests at 2% and Zoom cannot pick up sound. 

1 Message

February 13th, 2022 08:00

My Wifes new Inspiron 3000 has the same issue, short work around is to use a external usb camera with microphone. Has worked without issues

Dells issue appear to be related to their DAC conversion.. If you go into the driver and advanced settings and change the conversion rate to 16 bit 8000 hz the issue becomes a lot less, works on zoom for more time. maybe a new driver or bios update wood fix it

1 Message

April 18th, 2022 11:00

i purchased my new laptop less than one month ago. I have the same problem since last week. please help me. i live in France not in USA.

No Events found!