Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2018 01:00

New Inspiron 11 3180 Maxxaudiopro issue

Hi. My friend just bought a new Inspiron 11 3180 notebook with Windows 10 Home yesterday and after helping him set it up and uninstalling bloatware etc, the notebook works very well except for one issue, which was true before we did any optimizing of the laptop.

And that is the functioning of  MaxxAudiopro realtek audio manager application and realtek driver in general..

What happens is if I play music through connected 2.1 speakers or 2.0 speakers or headphones, the volume is unusually low (with volumes set high) and not very full in any case. If I launch the maxx audio app, and then enable the enhancements, then the volume comes on loud but with the enhancement stuff applied... it basically does not sound good. My understanding is enhancements is more for laptop speakers to better how they sound. It does not sound good with actual speakers attached or on headphones.

If I turn off enhancements, then it goes back to an unusually low sound. Reading around, I've seen others complain about this.

I did try uninstalling the realtek driver and having it install the microsoft drivers.. this sounds much better except there is popping noises and it seems there is also an issue with speakers/headphones.. though to be fair I did not explore this in detail.

Is there a way I can uninstall the realtek driver, which I believe will take maxx audio with it, and then install the latest driver from realteks site? I really don't need an app like maxx audio (or dts sound etc) or even default audio manager with equalizer and enhancements... I just want it to sound good without any of this which is the norm in terms of my experience with just using the driver without these managers and their enhancements.

Also will consider other suggestions. Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 14th, 2018 05:00

First, if you are using any Windows User Interface enhancements, you might turn those off for testing, at least for now.

When you plug in the speakers, you get a popup where you choose the device you plugged in. When you make that choice there is a preset configuration. You can change those settings in the Waves equalizer panel and save it so the next time that device is plugged in, it will go back to those settings.

Also watch volume levels of the different components.

25 Posts

April 14th, 2018 14:00

Okay I see what you are talking about now.

I had disabled both maxx audio and realtek driver from the startup. When I reenabled them, and restarted laptop, now when I plug in 2.0 speakers it give me a popup like below:

Capture.PNG

So If I am using 2.0 speakers I would choose external speakers.. what is the difference with the small, medium large external speakers? Thanks.

25 Posts

Wow I posted twice and needed to edit it a few times and then it was sent it off to moderation. So I sent a message to moderator to unblock it but no response.

Anyway, the issue is that regardless of how sound is output.. headphones, 2.0 speakers or internal speakers, the sound is low and not very full. If I enable enhancements on maxx audio pro, then sound volume is normal to loud and colored with the various psyhoacoustic stuff there.. which sounds a little wide and weird.

In any case I don't get any popups and I'm not sure saving a volume with the colored sound is something I want to do anyway since it does this in any case.. it retains the enhancements on setting unless I turn it off.

So my choice is low volume or normal/loud colored sound and neither is very good.

So I uninstalled maxx audio pro app and the realtek audio driver and installed latest driver from Realtek. This didn't have volume issue but didn't sound so awesome.

So I reinstalled maxx audio pro app and the realtek driver both from the dell site for this model, and it seems to sound a little better though still has volume issue. My friend is okay with the sound so I'm going to let it go but if it were me I wouldn't be completely happy with it.

25 Posts

I meant to include that there are no windows enhancements being applied.. its just a video on youtube through Firefox that I use to test (on a number of laptops).

The only enhancements come through maxx audio pro which as I said makes volume normal/louder but colors it oddly. Otherwise, sans enhancements, the volume is low.

25 Posts

April 14th, 2018 15:00

Okay I got it the way I want it.

What I did was when popup came up I choose "medium" speaker sound configuration. Then I opened the maxx audio app (it was set for medium speakers) and I turned off enhancements.... this time volume did not deteriorate after and the sound is good and normal.

So it looks like this is fixed for me. Thank you very much.

25 Posts

April 14th, 2018 15:00

As a last follow up, he actually prefers it with enhancements set to on with the large speakers setting which even to me like this doesn't sound that bad so all is good.

No Events found!