1 Copper

New SSD drive not found

My inspiron was already running on a 256GB SSD M.2 drive. To add some storage space, I have bought a new SATA 1To SSD. 

My inital thought was to replace the old drive with the new one so I have cloned the old drive to the new one.  I have left the old one in for the moment. When I start up the laptop, the new drive is not showing up in the BIOS or the Disk Manager.

I have tried removing the M.2 drive to force the computer into booting from the SATA drive but when I started the computer nothing seemed to be going on.

I have also tried unplugging and replugging the SATA connector to make sure it is well connected.

Any ideas why the drive is not showing up?

Can I use both drive at the same time?

Is it possible that the SATA connector is disabled?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Re: New SSD drive not found

When you clone a drive, you should remove the old drive before you boot with the new drive for the first time. I assume you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS but make sure you disable Secureboot. If AHCI is not set but instead RAID then be forewarned if you change it in the BIOS the system will not boot and you will have to reinstall Windows again. Also in the BIOS make sure that Windows Boot Manager is listed as the first boot option. Look in the BIOS to be sure that SATA is enabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253552-32-turn-sata-drive-bios

https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery_news/how-to-enable-ahci-mode-for-sata-in-the-bios-without-reinst...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: New SSD drive not found

On another laptop, I have done something similar, but I had to make the SATA port the main boot device.

0 Kudos