Highlighted
2 Bronze

New user - how to install (choose) ssd

Hi, Ive never used a notebook with the hibrid hd+sdd. Im trying to install my first program and I have no idea how to find which of the partitions is the SSD. By the size should be the smaller one, but when I look at the hardware both of them appear (is it because the disk is the same?) Again I now nothing about this ssd + hd disks .
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Re: New user - how to install (choose) ssd

Could you please post the model number of your system? And I will take a guess here. The HD+SSD is the same drive. The second designation applies to the cache drive that is part of the HDD. So you will be installing programs on the C: drive as that is probably the main drive.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Its a G7 15. 1tb +256gb SSD.

The C: is the main drive but it only has (223gb) the 😧 (931gb). I should install on the C: for better efficiency? Or there's no difference since its only cache and - as I read in various sites - its automatically alocated?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Go to Windows Disk Management.  The lower half of the main (center) area will show you which partition(s) are on which physical disk.  It's likely that your C drive is your SSD and your D drive is your spinning hard drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I got it. Entered by another path and C: is the SSD. Do you know if I can use intel optane in both partitions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

@Oberne wrote:

I got it. Entered by another path and C: is the SSD. Do you know if I can use intel optane in both partitions?

Not sure how I missed this, but are you sure your system has an SSD, an HDD, and a slot for an Optane card?  Even if it does, my understanding is that Optane is only used for spinning hard drives because it doesn't make sense to use an SSD to accelerate another SSD, in fact if the "real" SSD is faster than the Optane module, Optane would actually create a bottleneck.

0 Kudos