Highlighted
JMeier23
1 Nickel

No Sound on Boot Up

So I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Laptop (first time getting refurb) but I love the HDD/SDD hybrid and the graphics card inside it. I bought the Dell Inspiron 14 7000 model and, on occasion, when I boot the laptop up I will not get sound. This can also happen if the computer has gone to sleep and wakes up. I'm seriously hoping that it's a minor thing because this is the 2nd laptop I have bought in the past month. I had to return a Lenovo because the processor was just awful.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jacquelyn

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: No Sound on Boot Up

JMeier23,

You  can go to the sound options in Windows 10 in control panel. In the Sound window click the Sounds tab, then tick the “Play Windows Start-up sound” box. Your PC should now play a jingle whenever it boots. You may need to choose the startup sound you want to hear at startup.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
JMeier23
1 Nickel

Thank you for the reply however I should have clarified a bit more. It's not the sound on the literal boot up per say. I find, on occasion, if my computer goes to sleep or powers down and I wake it, when I go to a webpage or resume a game/video, I have no sound (apologies for the run-on sentence). In order for my sound to come back, I have to restart my computer which can be a bit annoying if I was in the middle of a task. I'm hoping it isn't malware as I downloaded a few things but would rather malware than have to return a faulty computer because I do like this computer.

0 Kudos

JMeier23,

Right click on the speaker icon located on the right side taskbar and choose open volume mixer. Verify that system sounds is turned up. Also, when you right click the speaker icon choose sounds and make sure there is checkmark in the box that reads "Play Windows Startup Sound".

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
JMeier23
1 Nickel

Jesse,

Thank you for your reply. I have done as you suggested and the problem persists. I woke my laptop from Sleep and when I went to resume a YouTube video, I had no sound.

0 Kudos