kharrisma
1 Nickel

No "PAUSE" key??

Hi Folks,

I have a new Inspiron 5755 (bought last year, so maybe new-ish rather than new?), running Win10 (to my growing dismay), and I'm having an issue with one particular game crashing upon player death/level reload. I get a "WolfSP.exe" has stopped working popup which gathers/sends information to Microsoft, then I'm back at the desktop. All "normal" efforts to remedy this have failed (compatibility mode, recent video driver, settings turned way down to "vanilla," run as administrator, yada yada...

When the game loads, there's a quick command-line-like pop-up window that rapidly scrolls a whole slew of stuff, way too fast to read, then disappears and I'm in the game. I'd like to be able to pause things right there so I can read what's scrolling down the screen; there may well be a clue in there as to why the game is behaving like this.... but there's no "PAUSE" key, nor any way to emulate it, going by the labeling on the keys. Is there some keystroke combination that's a stand-in for a dedicated "PAUSE" key that everyone but me knows about?

I've heard of a couple of key remapping utilities, and I've tried downloading/installing a couple of them, but one of 'em won't install unless I let them install some other kind of garbage too (sorry, I really can't remember which one it is), and the other one downloads, has the right name and all, but when I open it up, it turns out to be some stupid "remind me to take a break from the compter" app. I did manage to dnld/install "SharpKeys," but while it does have the "from" key I want to remap (the tilde key beside top row #1), there's no "PAUSE" key to change it to... pretty much everything else, and a bunch of "Unknown" entries to choose, but who knows what they are?

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: No "PAUSE" key??

Unless you have confirmation from the game developer that the Pause key will actually work where you're hoping it will, I really don't think it will.  These days the Pause key is basically limited to halting the boot process, and even that use case is rapidly disappearing given how quickly modern UEFI systems boot, which is why the key itself is disappearing.

But if you want to keep trying, the simplest solution is probably to just plug in an external keyboard that has that key, either by borrowing one or just buying a cheap $10 one since it sounds like you've probably spent more than $10 worth of time on this by now.  Otherwise, AutoHotKey is a popular tool that can do all sort of key mapping and macro wizardry.  It's not especially simple to use, but it does have great support in their forums, so if you Google "AutoHotKey remap Pause", chances are you'll find a post that has instructions.  But I'm also wondering if the Pause key might be a special lower-level command that might not be able to be remapped in the first place, in which case even AutoHotKey may not be able to help, which takes me back to borrowing/buying a cheap keyboard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: No "PAUSE" key??

One additional thought: Your game might support being launched with a special logging parameter that would cause the text that scrolls by to be saved to a text file somewhere, or it might even already do that by default, in which case it would just be a matter of finding its log file.

0 Kudos