Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:11

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 28th, 2018 05:00

Hello. You said that whatever diagnostic you used "say" the speakers are all right. You should use a diagnostic that plays audio through the speakers, so that your own ears can tell you if the speakers are working.

> Re-start the computer and tap the F12 key as soon as it starts to boot up. If the computer boots to Windows re-start the computer and try again.

> Select 'Diagnostics' from the boot menu, then press the Enter key. Either the ePSA or the PSA tests will open -- it depends on the model of your laptop but should be the ePSA on newer models..

> Look for a "Perform Quick Audio Check" button on the bottom right side of the ePSA main menu screen (see screen shot below). Press the button and listen for the series of octave tones from the speakers.

> If you do not have the "Perform Quick Audio Check" button then do this. Start the PSA tests and when it performs the color test it will ask you if you see the color bars on the screen. Deliberately fail the test by answering no (press the "n" key) instead of yes. When you do that the PSA test will emit a series of beeps. Listen for the beeps.

> If you don't hear the beeps or tones that means that the speakers have become disconnected or have failed.

> If you do hear the tones that means that the speakers are working and are connected.

Here is a screen shot of the ePSA Quick Audio test:

If you have the older PSA test you will not have the "Perform Quick Audio Check."

================================================================

If the test passes, then indeed the speakers are okay. In that case please post back with some additional information:

> The full model name of your Inspiron 7000 series laptop. Because it is a 15" model, the name will be Inspiron 75xx.

> The operating system, probably Windows 10..

> What you have already tried. You said you tried the fixes etc. Which ones?

1 Message

January 28th, 2018 13:00

Hi Jim, 

Thank you for your response. It has been very helpful. I did as you instructed and to my dismay, I didn't hear the tones. I tried it several times just to affirm my observation. If the speakers are the issue, what more can I do?

As for the fixes attempted, I tried troubleshooting the first time where you disable the audio enhancements then reinstall them I think? Last time it worked to the point it told me the speakers were working well. However, after rebooting my computer nearly 24 hours later after running that diagnostic, then troubleshooting again, I've gotten a response that states, "Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. Generic Audio Driver not fixed." I tried troubleshooting sound problems again, this time playing the audio test and heard nothing. 

My laptop is an Inspiron 7560 operating on windows 10. I also tried disconnecting and external audio devices such as Bluetooth speakers which I had become fond of using. let me restart my computer I see what the current changes will yield. Will update here once it's done.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 28th, 2018 20:00

" If the speakers are the issue, what more can I do?"

If the laptop is under warranty contact tech support to have it repaired, but first remove all audio playback programs except Windows Media Player. If support finds any other player, particularly VLC, it might deny service to the speakers.

If no longer under warranty you can open up the laptop and reconnect the speaker cable. If that doesn't fix it then you can replace the speakers. If you need a link to the service manual (instructions for replacing parts) you have to reveal the full model name of the laptop.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 28th, 2018 21:00

The only difference between the speakers and the headphones is an electrical connection swap.

Normally the speakers are the default device but with some recent changes, you might check the Waves UI to make sure the speakers are selected there.

I have never really run the diagnostic but if the speakers do not produce a tone with that I suppose it may be more than just a connection problem.  I suppose, when you ran the diagnostic with the Headphones, it did not produce the tones?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 29th, 2018 03:00

@CuriousBee  "My laptop is an Inspiron 7560"

Sorry I totally failed to notice that yesterday. Here is the documents page for the Inspiron 7560. The Service Manual is available as either pdf or html form. The pdf is more user friendly in my experiece, if you open it in Adobe Reader.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 29th, 2018 03:00

@Saltgrass " have never really run the diagnostic but if the speakers do not produce a tone with that I suppose it may be more than just a connection problem"

Here's how it works. The ePSA tests are hardware diagnostics and do not use the Realtek/Waves driver, popups, Waves UI or any of that foolishness.

If the octave tones are not heard through the speakers when the Perform Quick Audio Check is engaged, then there is an audio hardware failure. That doesn't mean that there might not be additional problems with the idiotic software, but the ePSA does not test for problems in that area.

If the rest of the audio system is working correctly, audio through headphones etc., then the hardware failure is about the speakers: either the signal is failing to reach the speakers due to a cabling/connection issue, or the speakers themselves have failed.

Used speakers don't cost much if one can obtain them, so could just skip the step of checking the connection. That would save some time because replacing the speakers would also fix a possible cabling/connection problem.

1 Message

April 12th, 2018 11:00

Hi Jim, what if I'm not getting sound out of the head phone jack either?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 12th, 2018 13:00

@kthom1wrote:

Hi Jim, what if I'm not getting sound out of the head phone jack either?

You have all of these symptoms?

> no sound from internal speakers

> no sound from headphones or speakers plugged into the analog port (the headset jack)

> failure of the pre-boot audio test

1 Message

October 11th, 2018 10:00

Hi Jim, i kind of have the same issue but when I did that audio test and it worked a few tones came out of my laptop, i have an inspiron 15 gaming 7567 with windows 10 64bit. The issue started after i made a few dell support assist updates, and now the sound icon says “no audio output device is installed”. Hope you cal help me out

1 Message

October 11th, 2018 13:00

Have same problem after yesterdays windows update...

1 Message

October 11th, 2018 15:00

Same issue here as well. I tried installing an audio driver from Dell's website, which restored audio, but the subwoofer does not work. Sounds bad.

5 Posts

October 11th, 2018 15:00

I'm having the same issue. Woke up thismorning, went to play some music, and for some reason there is no sound coming out of the laptop OR headphones, but when I go into sound settings, it's showing that music is being played? ( Sound Bar is going up and down) I've done the tests too as recommended, and I can hear the beeping sound. Yesterday, I had a problem with the microphone, and now this. I've only had my laptop for a few months.

5 Posts

October 11th, 2018 16:00

Hey guys. I fixed the problem. The new Windows 10 update deleted my realtek audio. I re- installed the driver, and now it's working fine 👍🏼

21 Posts

October 11th, 2018 18:00

The computer seems to be very touchy about sound drivers. Installing the ReakTek drivers will get the sound working on the 1809 update but the subwoofer won't be.

The only way I've found to get the subwoofer to work is with the Microsoft drivers, in 1809 it's not longer recognized at RealTek but instead Intel.

I restored to before the system update to properly fix my sound.

5 Posts

October 12th, 2018 09:00

yes, my subwoofer now isn't working! so annoying. What driver did you download from microsoft? I've been playing around with this all day and just want it fixed.

No Events found!