mfalcon1.
6 Indium

OS Creation Tool Weird Issue!!

Hello everyone I have a strange story to tell. My laptop (Inspiron 5555) got a hit 2 weeks ago, and this made the hard disk to be corrupted and I replaced it with a new one. I bought my laptop with pre-installed version of windows 8.1, so I wanted to install it back on the new had disk, so I installed OS creation tool and ran it. The tool recognised the service tag of my laptop, and then showed me the available windows 8.1 version available to download for this kind of laptops, so I downloaded it, and completed the procedure by making the a USB flash memory to be ready to install the windows Till here everything seems in order. I restarted the laptop, and the windows started setup, and suddenly.... it ASKED ME TO ENTER ACTIVATION KEY !!! which activation key???? my laptop got its key on bios, and this Dell-supported version should get it! More strangely, the step of asking for activation key is not mentioned in the steps on your OS creation tool page. more extra strangely, I got somehow my windows key from bios, and .... your version denied it and said : "The product key entered does not match any of Windows images available for installation. Please enter a different product key". May someone explain to me what is this? I need my licensed windows installation back! I
0 Kudos
14 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: OS Creation Tool Weird Issue!!

@mfalcon1. wrote:
Hello everyone I have a strange story to tell. My laptop (Inspiron 5555) got a hit 2 weeks ago, and this made the hard disk to be corrupted and I replaced it with a new one. I bought my laptop with pre-installed version of windows 8.1, so I wanted to install it back on the new had disk, so I installed OS creation tool and ran it. The tool recognised the service tag of my laptop, and then showed me the available windows 8.1 version available to download for this kind of laptops, so I downloaded it, and completed the procedure by making the a USB flash memory to be ready to install the windows Till here everything seems in order. I restarted the laptop, and the windows started setup, and suddenly.... it ASKED ME TO ENTER ACTIVATION KEY !!! which activation key???? my laptop got its key on bios, and this Dell-supported version should get it! More strangely, the step of asking for activation key is not mentioned in the steps on your OS creation tool page. more extra strangely, I got somehow my windows key from bios, and .... your version denied it and said : "The product key entered does not match any of Windows images available for installation. Please enter a different product key". May someone explain to me what is this? I need my licensed windows installation back! I

Go ahead and install Windows 8.1

It will activate.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Are you installing the same version of Windows 8.1 that came on the system?  You cannot install Pro if the system came with the standard version of Windows 8.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@ejn63 wrote:

Are you installing the same version of Windows 8.1 that came on the system?  You cannot install Pro if the system came with the standard version of Windows 8.

But if he is using his Service Tag #, won't Dell.com allow him to download only what came originally on the laptop?

8 Krypton

I would not count on that being the case.

0 Kudos
mfalcon1.
6 Indium

no such option, setup can not proceed without activation/product key

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
mfalcon1.
6 Indium

@ejn63

I do not know what was the version that was pre-installed. In all cases, this is irrelevant , as the Os creation tool downloaded the supposedly correct version automatically. I did not have any intervention in what Dell Os creation tool selected. If this Windows 8.1 is chosen by Os creation tool, then it should work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mfalcon1.
6 Indium

@nyc10036

Exactly, what Dell tool has chosen, it should work. 

I can not proceed in installation without a key, and I do believe the process of asking about key should not be there 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

There should be a sticker on the system indicating the OS shipped with the system (though it won't have a product key on it if it's Windows 8 or 10).  If it's not on the bottom of the system, and the battery is removeable, check under the battery.

0 Kudos
mfalcon1.
6 Indium

@ejn63

When I bought the laptop I did not find such sticker anywhere, and I came here and I asked Dell support, they told me that it may be there or not, and in all cases the key of windows is in BIOS. 

Actually, I am still wondering. Why the tool downloaded an OS that asks for a key? and If my system has no permission to get a windows version, then why they showed me "Windows 8.1 core" as the available version available for my laptop?

0 Kudos