ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: OS Creation Tool Weird Issue!!

Was your system purchased inside or outside the USA -- and from Dell or another source?

0 Kudos
mfalcon1.
1 Copper

@ejn63

Outside of US, from a ordinary retailer (no relation to Dell) in a computer mall with 11 months warranty that already ended 2 years ago.

0 Kudos
ibace
1 Copper

I arrived here after googling this same error issue...I downloaded the Dell OS Recovery Tool, installed it then entered my Service Tag...I was presented with only 1 option; Windows 8.1 Professional-64 Bit which I duly downloaded and then Windows burnt it to my 16 GB Thumbdrive. Downloaded the instructions how to recovery my operating system...installed the Thumbdrive in the target machine...tapped F12 till the 'one time boot' option presented itself, navigated to the Thumbdrive, clicked to boot from USB...and all went well until I was asked to enter a Product Key...WHAT PRODUCT KEY?

There is no product key, no C.O.A. on the PC, and the instructions to use the Recovery tool explicitly do not identify the need to enter a product key...how can you? There is no evidence anywhere on my PC or the paperwork I received when I bought it; that identify a unique key for my PC.

Indeed...Microsoft made a big brouhaha about the fact that the key is embedded in the BIOS from the factory...so how do any of that help me?

IT DOESN'T!!

For those disbelievers....here is a copy/paste of the Microsoft installation instructions;

Using the USB Recovery Media to Install Microsoft Windows

Installing Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

1. Connect the USB drive to the Dell PC where you want to install Microsoft Windows.
  2. Restart the PC and when the Dell logo appears, tap F12 key until you see ‘Preparing one time boot menu’ in the top-right corner of the screen.
  3. On the boot menu, under UEFI boot, select your USB drive and press Enter.
  4. When Windows Setup appears, select your preferences.
  5. On the Windows Installation dialog box, click Install Now.
  6. Review the license agreement, and select I accept the license terms.
  7. On the ‘Which type of installation do you want?’ window, click Custom (advanced).
  8. On the ‘Where do you want to install Windows’ window, select the largest internal disc as the Primary Partition, then click Next. If the Primary Partition shows 0GB free, select Unallocated Space and click Next.
  9. Windows Setup automatically creates the new Windows partition, formats it, and then begins installing Windows.
  10. The installation process will take some time and your PC may restart several times.

Great instructions and advice...now if only it would work!!

0 Kudos
mfalcon1.
1 Copper

@ibace wrote:

I arrived here after googling this same error issue...I downloaded the Dell OS Recovery Tool, installed it then entered my Service Tag...I was presented with only 1 option; Windows 8.1 Professional-64 Bit which I duly downloaded and then Windows burnt it to my 16 GB Thumbdrive. Downloaded the instructions how to recovery my operating system...installed the Thumbdrive in the target machine...tapped F12 till the 'one time boot' option presented itself, navigated to the Thumbdrive, clicked to boot from USB...and all went well until I was asked to enter a Product Key...WHAT PRODUCT KEY?

There is no product key, no C.O.A. on the PC, and the instructions to use the Recovery tool explicitly do not identify the need to enter a product key...how can you? There is no evidence anywhere on my PC or the paperwork I received when I bought it; that identify a unique key for my PC.

Indeed...Microsoft made a big brouhaha about the fact that the key is embedded in the BIOS from the factory...so how do any of that help me?

IT DOESN'T!!

For those disbelievers....here is a copy/paste of the Microsoft installation instructions;

1. Connect the USB drive to the Dell PC where you want to install Microsoft Windows.
  2. Restart the PC and when the Dell logo appears, tap F12 key until you see ‘Preparing one time boot menu’ in the top-right corner of the screen.
  7. On the ‘Which type of installation do you want?’ window, click Custom (advanced).
  8. On the ‘Where do you want to install Windows’ window, select the largest internal disc as the Primary Partition, then click Next. If the Primary Partition shows 0GB free, select Unallocated Space and click Next.
  9. Windows Setup automatically creates the new Windows partition, formats it, and then begins installing Windows.
  10. The installation process will take some time and your PC may restart several times.

Do not waste your time @ibace . I waited for so long until some official employee in Dell to reply my justified questions here, and it has never happened. I am wondering how such things can happen, knowing that companies that care for its fame do not behave so. Actually my previous Laptop was not Dell brand, and I have never passed through such strange issues. I have some serious conclusion about why no one answered me, and according to my conclusion I know what I shall do when I buy a new Laptop. Thanks for the lesson that customer support here gave to me.

0 Kudos
nyc10036
4 Beryllium

@ibace wrote:

IT DOESN'T!!

The COA aka product key is indeed embedded on the motherboard.

I bought a used Acer that had its hard drive wiped but originally had Windows 10.

Installed Windows 10 that I had downloaded from Microsoft.

Skipped entering the product key prompt.

Activated Windows 10 after Windows 10 was installed.

Worked.

That is how it is suppose to work.

0 Kudos