FMjock
1 Copper

OS install problem

I'm working on an Inspiron 3520. The hard drive crashed and I installed a new one. I tried to download an OS using the Dell OS recovery tool but when I enter the service tag it tells me that there is "No OS image defined for this product". I have an unused copy of Windows 7 that I tried to install but after extracting the Windows files it restarts and hangs up. I did a safe boot and the system hangs up looking for some specific drivers. I'm lost as right now this Laptop might as well be a boat anchor. All I want to do is get an OS working without having to pay for something that was already paid for. What can I do? Any suggestions will help., maybe what drivers I need and how I can install them when there is no OS. Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: OS install problem

You may need updated Windows 7 media, particularly if what you have is pre-SP1.  Or, you may need to pause the install and inject the drivers for your hard drive.  Best would be to look on EBay for OEM Dell windows 7 media (neither Dell nor Microsoft ship this any longer, as Windows 7 is in its downward spiral to oblivion, with just over 17 months to go before updates for it cease).

0 Kudos
kejer
1 Copper

I have this same problem.
AN old Laptop crashed--it is running win 7 pro 32 bit and I no longer have the DVD.

Dell recovery tool says no image is available.

Microsoft says to contact the manufacturer of the laptop.

Dell chat says to contact out of product support Chat.

Dell out of product support chat tells me to call Dell sells dept

Dell sells department says to contact Microsoft.

All the links on the internet (trustworthy) say FREE DOWNLOAD then take me to the dell site or the microsoft site after running me past a gauntlet of ads.  

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Check EBay - there are usually sellers offering Windows 7 recovery media there.  There's no way to obtain recovery media for 7 from MS or Dell - with support for 7 ending in about 15 months, it's no longer supported with media.

0 Kudos