Highlighted
2 Bronze

PBR Image Consumed 277GB Hard Drive Space

Jump to solution

Dell.pngI have a 2014 Dell Inspiron 3442 with 1TB Hard drive. It was originally Windows 8.1 Single Language and downloaded the free upgrade to Windows 10 of Microsoft. I factory reset it twice already, the first one, using Dell Backup and Recovery, it returned back to Windows 8.1 and I upgraded it again to Windows 10. After a year or so, I reset it again but this time using the Windows 10 reset feature.  After that, I noticed that the PBR Image partition took 277GB of my hard drive, tho it has 80GB Free space, there's no option of shrinking the volume of it. I currently have used the remaining space of the drive and needed some more. Is there a solution to lower down the space consumed or is it okay to remove PBR Image as well as WINRETOOLS partition from my laptop?

image.png
As of now, I'm thinking of formatting my whole hard drive and reinstall my windows. Give me some advice please.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Iridium

Re: PBR Image Consumed 277GB Hard Drive Space

Jump to solution

That partition contains the recovery image for your OS. If you are considering a clean install then make a recovery drive on a USB.  Once you clean install, assuming you delete all partitions, you will recover all of the drive capacity. But will no longer be able to restore the system from the recovery image. After you get the OS and your drivers and programs installed, I would make a complete backup to an external drive for ease in restoring if you have problems down the road.

Personally, when I received my new Inspiron I pulled the HDD and installed new SSDs then clean installed Windows 10. It gets rid of any and all bloatware and gives you a clean slate so to speak. It means you will have to manually download and install all the drivers though. Dell Update could be installed and used for automated driver and program installation but I like having as clean a system as possible.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3140449/windows/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-10-recover...

Driver installation sequence.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cadhs1/sln148687/how-to-install-dell-drivers-in-the-corre...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430

View solution in original post

1 Reply
5 Iridium

Re: PBR Image Consumed 277GB Hard Drive Space

Jump to solution

That partition contains the recovery image for your OS. If you are considering a clean install then make a recovery drive on a USB.  Once you clean install, assuming you delete all partitions, you will recover all of the drive capacity. But will no longer be able to restore the system from the recovery image. After you get the OS and your drivers and programs installed, I would make a complete backup to an external drive for ease in restoring if you have problems down the road.

Personally, when I received my new Inspiron I pulled the HDD and installed new SSDs then clean installed Windows 10. It gets rid of any and all bloatware and gives you a clean slate so to speak. It means you will have to manually download and install all the drivers though. Dell Update could be installed and used for automated driver and program installation but I like having as clean a system as possible.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3140449/windows/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-10-recover...

Driver installation sequence.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cadhs1/sln148687/how-to-install-dell-drivers-in-the-corre...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430

View solution in original post