Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2022 15:00

Playing DVD

I have a DELL 3537 Windows 10. When I play CD's they run OK but tried a DVD (for the first time I think) and, although you can hear it start, it doesn't play (or show in Windows Media player). I've looked at files, run checks (they say system is installed and working) but to no joy. Any help for a 74 year old non-techie would be great.

4 Posts

April 5th, 2022 13:00

Thanks for all the help guys........ I guess I'll wait 'til I get a new laptop!!!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

You need a DVD player app for Windows 10. There are a number of them available which are free. The Microsoft Store has players available. Also this page should help. Just for future reference MS killed the Windows media centre which was able to play DVDs.

4 Posts

Cheers. I had a feeling that had happened. Just looked at Windows site and their own DVD player gets poor reviews!!! I'll have to shop around and try and get my head round this download thingy!!!

5.6K Posts

March 30th, 2022 16:00

@Pollyfan wrote:

Cheers. I had a feeling that had happened. Just looked at Windows site and their own DVD player gets poor reviews!!! I'll have to shop around and try and get my head round this download thingy!!!

This the one I use if I have a laptop with a DVD drive. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

To support them, donate a few dollars.

3 Apprentice

• 

544 Posts

March 30th, 2022 18:00

Microsoft offered their DVD player app for free during the free Windows 10 upgrade period as a replacement for the Media Center program which came with Windows 7 & 8. I was initially able to get it on my old laptop after updating it to Windows 10, and yes, it was buggy and unreliable. IIRC, the video would black out and freeze during playback. Upon last check, there has been no attempt by Microsoft to address its problems as there have virtually been no updates since 2015.

I would think by now that the patents for DVD MPEG2 decoders would have expired, thus no longer requiring licensing agreements, which was the reason why Microsoft stopped including it starting with Windows 10 and why their DVD app costs $15.00.

No Events found!