1 Copper

Please help, Inspiron 7352 touchscreen problem

Hi, my son has an Inspiron 13 7352 special edition (i7 & ssd) laptop. It was great until one day he opened it and the screen was cracked. He took it pretty bad because he used it heavily for an art drawing program in tablet mode. I found him a 7348 (i5 & hdd drive) to get him by at school but the touchscreen was not nearly as responsive and smooth for his drawing software as the 7352 had been. I ended up having a replacement screen put on his 7352. Unfortunately, the aftermarket screen they put on it does not perform like the original either.

Are some screens just more responsive than others? Why doesn't the 7348 screen perform like the 7352 did? What should I look for in the next laptop to ensure it is responsive and will run his drawing software? Also, he does his drawings by touch, not with a stylus.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Please help, Inspiron 7352 touchscreen problem

There are indeed differences between screens -- that could be one issue -- but the bigger difference here is in the hardware behind the screen.  The difference between an i5 and i7 CPU in most everyday work isn't large -- but the difference in performance between any system with an SSD and the same or similar with a hard drive will be night and day.

If you're looking for a system with a true, pressure-sensitive digitizing screen, there are a few Inspirons that have these -- look for one labeled "pen compatible".  Or, look at the XPS 9365 system -- which does have a pressure-sensitive digitizing screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Thanks for the info. We went to look at new 13in laptops all with i7 processors and either 256 or 512 ssd and 8gb or 16gb of memory. All touchscreens performed smoothly and responsively (using Paint 3d). We tried HP, Samsung, Dell, Lenovo, etc.  We weren't able to try them with a stylus though. Now I am wondering if it would be worth it to have the 7352 touchscreen replaced again but this time with an original Dell touchscreen or if we should just sell it and invest in one of the new laptops we looked at. Is there such a thing as a Dell brand replacement touchscreen or are they made by some other company for Dell and if so who? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Dell does not make hardware - the screen will come from one of the major display manufacturers, no matter new or replacement - same for the other system "manufacturers".  The "manufacturer" of the system isn't the company whose name is on the outside -- ALL notebooks are made by contract manufacturers -- just two of them (Compal and Quanta) supply about half of all notebooks.

Chances are that systems coming with 512G SSDs are higher-end models than an Inspiron - be sure you're comparing models of similar specification.

If you're looking for a fully pen-supportive 13" system, expect a price of around or over $1,000 -- much less than that and either you'll get a lower-line feature set or other design compromises (such as a mostly plastic vs. metal or carbon fiber chassis).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I ended up ordering a 13" Inspiron 7000 series with 512ssd, 16gb memory and 8th gen i7. Battery reviews aren't great but everything else should be good. We'll see...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

If you're expecting to use an active pen with the system, double check what you ordered to ensure it's "pen compatible" .   Not all systems in this model line are.

0 Kudos