Highlighted
Pilicornis
1 Copper

Plugged In, Not Charging & 255%

Jump to solution

Five or six months ago, my Dell Inspiron charger broke. After I ordered an off-brand charger, something was different. I got maybe two and a half full charges out of the new charger before it gave me the "Plugged in, not charging." message. I dealt with it for a while since it would suspend my battery percentage unless it wasn't plugged in. Eventually, I got a new charger, this one being made by Dell. The same thing happened, where it gave me less than a couple charges before giving me the same message the last one did. I recently bought myself another new charger, the same brand that the one that broke was. It didn't even charge it a bit. The little light that indicates the laptop's charging now blinks orange four times before white once, then repeats the sequence. Instead of the previous message, it's now been replaced with "255% available (Plugged in)". 

Before even getting this charger, I've tried everything I could think of to fix the charging issue. I've taken the battery out and drained it, I've uninstalled the battery driver and re-installed it, I've updated the BIOS. Nothing's worked, and I'm about ready to give up on this computer altogether. I'm hoping someone can give me any other suggestions on how to fix this problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
JOcean
5 Rhenium

Re: Plugged In, Not Charging & 255%

Jump to solution

What is the exact model number of your system?

Use only a genuine Dell adapter and battery. Have you tried a rest on the system yet? Disconnect the battery and unplug the adapter. Then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then reconnect everything and try again. But that blink code indicates a bad battery which means you have to replace it with a genuine new Dell battery.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
JOcean
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

What is the exact model number of your system?

Use only a genuine Dell adapter and battery. Have you tried a rest on the system yet? Disconnect the battery and unplug the adapter. Then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then reconnect everything and try again. But that blink code indicates a bad battery which means you have to replace it with a genuine new Dell battery.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Pilicornis
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The model is a Dell Inspiron 5567. I've also tried a rest before. I guess I'll look into a new battery for now. Do you happen to know which type I need?

Highlighted
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

@Pilicornis 

The Parts People are out of stock at the moment.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=21829

You can use the part number to search elsewhere or click on the "Notify Me" box and they will Email you when they receive new stock.

Best regards,

U2

HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
HP ZBook 17 G4 Xeon E3-1505M v6 32GB