Highlighted
1 Copper

Possible solution to Inspiron 13 7000 getting very hot

I bought this laptop brand-new in January of 2019. From the beginning the built-in keyboard has gotten hot enough, especially on the left side of the keyboard, to make typing uncomfortable. Since I make my living as a medical transcriptionist, this is not a good thing. I use it with a laptop pad with a USB-powered fan, and even that was not of enough help to cool down the keyboard.

I followed all the suggestions I could find on multiple online searches, including updating the BIOS as well as making sure all the Dell updates had been downloaded and installed. Still too hot. I even went so far as to remove the back of the laptop to check and see the condition of the fan. (It was fine.)

And then I happened upon a suggestion to disable the Intel Turbo Boost Max technology in the BIOS. This is enabled by default and, if I understand it correctly, basically overclocks the CPU, which makes it run hotter. I had earlier downloaded and run a program called Open Hardware Monitor which told me my CPU core temperatures were running in the high 60s to low 70s degrees Celsius.

So I rebooted the computer, hit F12 on restart to get into setup, and found my way to the Turbo Boost. On my system, it is found under "Performance." (Your mileage may vary.) I unchecked the box to disable it, saved the changes, and finished booting up the computer.

And now the keyboard is no longer burning my fingers, and the CPU temperatures are running in the high 40s to low 50s. And I can put my hand on the bottom of the computer without it hurting.

So if your laptop has the same issue, try disabling the Turbo Boost in the BIOS, and see if that helps.

4 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Possible solution to Inspiron 13 7000 getting very hot

Holee cow!

It worked!!

After more than a year of burnt legs and two destroyed batteries, a simple 1-minute fix took care of it.

Thank you!!

jmf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

You're welcome! I'm so glad it worked for you. I don't take credit for the solution, and now I can't remember where I found it. Happy (cool) computing. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This was a real life-saver, thank you so much for sharing!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I'm so glad to hear that it's been helpful! 🙂

0 Kudos