Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2019 18:00

Possible upgrade for Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet

I have an Inspiron N 7110 with the 10/100 ethernet adapter "Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet" installed.

My local cable internet has just improved to 400G and would like to replace this adapter with one that can handle 10/100/1000 speeds. Is that even possible without replacing the entire motherboard?

Mike

April 13th, 2019 14:00

Ordered the 10/100/1000 I/O Board. Worth a try for that price.

Installed it and it worked just fine with no modifications to BIOS, Drivers (Running Linux Mint 19.1) or anything else.

Will wait and see how that turns out, then possibly go for the external solution. <--No longer necessary. Also, of note is that the external solution requires USB3 - is not viable on an old machine with just USB2 ports.

Thanks to both of you,

Mike

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 13th, 2019 10:00

Without replacing the motherboard?  No, because the Ethernet chip is soldered onto it.  And unless Dell ever made a motherboard for that system that included a Gigabit chip and that has all of the other ports and screw holes in the same place to align with the chassis, then you're probably out of luck -- and even IF you found a replacement motherboard, it would be configured with some other Service Tag, which could create problems with your warranty and other Dell applications that rely on knowing your correct Service Tag.  Replacement motherboards that ship directly from Dell don't have a Service Tag configured, but once the repair tech sets one, it's permanent.

If your WiFi equipment and/or location won't allow you to get 400 Mbps reliably over the airwaves, your best bet is a Gigabit Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter.  I recommended a couple in this thread just yesterday.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

April 13th, 2019 10:00

1 Message

April 15th, 2019 15:00

Please update when you try this part. I'm in the same boat as you and was looking at the same replacement.

Thanks

April 18th, 2019 15:00

Updated 'solution' frame. The I/O board worked just fine.

Mike

No Events found!