Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

5 Posts

June 30th, 2020 04:00

Problem with OS installation on new drive.

Hello everyone. 

I have dell inspiron 15 7567.

a flex cable for a hard disk with an operating system has recently been broken. I have a new ssd Intel m.2 80mm PCIe 3.0x4 660p, 512 GB. I decided to install the system on ssd from a flash drive.
When I turn on with a flash drive, nothing happens, just a black screen. When you turn on without a flash drive but with ssd, the BIOS starts up once, but with artifacts on the display. Without a flash drive and ssd, the BIOS starts without problems.

5.6K Posts

June 30th, 2020 09:00

I decided to install the system on ssd from a flash drive.

What does this mean????

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 12:00

I think they mean install the OS from USB Flash. I am wondering what a flex cable is unless they mean this.

flex cable.png

Now how did that break? And a m.2 will not fit it takes a SATA SSD

1.5K Posts

June 30th, 2020 13:00

Not sure what you are trying to do. if your hard drive is still working you should Clone it to your new SSD. It sounded like only a cable to the hard drive failed?

If you're trying to do a clean install, you should use MCT to allow it to create your install media on your USB thumb drive once you have that accomplished you should log onto your Dell Support page By Service tag Number and download your hardware drivers.

To get this information you need to log on to  Dell Support, enter your model number, and most importantly Enter your Service Tag Number. 

That will open all the hardware information on your Particular notebook,  Ther will be a Download tab where you download all your hardware drivers and Dell Software.

When you boot your Install USB Thumb Drive you should hit the f12 key this will open a one-time boot menu there you should select the UEFI USB to boot from. that will start the install

To clone your hard drive to your new SSD Put you old hard drive in a USB to SATA adapter and follow the video directions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClr3FPg4_4

5 Posts

June 30th, 2020 17:00

Yes I meant this cable. And I can't get new one right now, shipping takes a month (but most likely more). 

I have a place inside of notebook for me and 2,5 sata. 

5 Posts

I don't know how it broke but OS failed to boot, then I removed HDD I saw one of a *contact lines* (don't know how its called) was out from plastic and just wiggle.  

In previous message I ment m.2 and SATA 2,5 slots. 

Sorry.

5 Posts

Sorry for my English, I post here because I don't find help in my region. 

I installed fresh OS on SSD.

It was working only then I changed my RAM (16x2) (don't ask why there was 32 GB) to 8x1. I tried change boot settings to UEFI but it didn't work. 

5 Posts

June 30th, 2020 18:00

8 GB one was pre-installed. 

I switched to it just to try and it's worked, idk. 

I as said in topic, notebook was gliching with SSD (artifacts on screen and bios won't boot) without SSD I was able to go to bios every time.

Mb it was different issue idk. 

But my friend has almost same nb and on his we have no problem. 

5.6K Posts

June 30th, 2020 18:00

How do you know you have the correct 8 GB RAM ?

Why did you go from 32 GB to 8 GB? It makes no sense.

5.6K Posts

June 30th, 2020 20:00

Changing too many things at once is not the best way to go about things.

No Events found!