Dr Itachi
2 Bronze

Processor of Inspiron 15 5558 stuck at 0.48 GHz

Jump to solution

• Hello everyone I have a weird issue. Each time I boot my Inspiron 15 5558 I get a alert on BIOS screen that said something like "Alert! The AC power and wattage cannot be determined. The system will..." and on Windows task manager the speed of the processor stuck at 0.48 GHz which make my PC slow as <Substitute character removed>.
  • I use it’s original Dell charger but the battery is dead. Also the power button and screen are broken so I always remove the CMOS battery to make it boot
  • i also see with the multimeter that the motherboard only send 3.3V to the fan instead of 5 i think. Is this normal. I’m tired please help me to solve this issue
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ejn63
7 Gold

Re: Processor of Inspiron 15 5558 stuck at 0.48 GHz

Jump to solution

If the AC adapter is not recognized, the system will run at battery speed all the time.

One of three things is faulty.

First, it could be the adapter (try a new OEM AC adapter first).

Second, it could be the DC input jack (next part to replace: https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=19226 )

If neither of those results in a recognized AC adapter, the charge circuit is faulty - replace the system board.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Dr Itachi
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Problem solve it was the charger. I change it to a 65W and it worked again

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ejn63
7 Gold

Jump to solution

If the AC adapter is not recognized, the system will run at battery speed all the time.

One of three things is faulty.

First, it could be the adapter (try a new OEM AC adapter first).

Second, it could be the DC input jack (next part to replace: https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=19226 )

If neither of those results in a recognized AC adapter, the charge circuit is faulty - replace the system board.

0 Kudos
Dr Itachi
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. When I used the multimeter on the charger I get around 19.55V which is correct I think, same with the jack on its connexion in the motherboard. I think both are correct ? Or it’s possible that even with 19.5V outpout they may be damaged ?

other way on the motherboard I get 5V on all USB ports, 3,3V on fan pins, around 14,7V on the battery charging pins, 3,3V on the power source. Do you think motherboard circuit charge could be faulty even with those those values ?

0 Kudos
ejn63
7 Gold

Jump to solution

The charger is detected by means of the center pin in the DC plug and a chip on the mainboard.  Usually, either the pin or the center hole in the jack is the faulty part.  A simple voltage check will not confirm the function of the detection circuit.

0 Kudos
Dr Itachi
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks. How could I check which part is faulty please ? I don’t want to change the motherboard I don’t have money for now

0 Kudos
ejn63
7 Gold

Jump to solution

First thing to try is a new (or known working) Dell AC adapter. If you (or a friend) don't have one, a local computer repair shop will.

If that isn't recognized either, next suspect is the DC jack - replace that (link in the first reply).

If that doesn't get the adapter recognized, it's the system board that's faulty.

0 Kudos
Dr Itachi
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Problem solve it was the charger. I change it to a 65W and it worked again

0 Kudos