Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 21st, 2022 17:00

Question/Failure Bios Update Inspiron 16 5620

Going thru a clean install on new laptop, bios update failed through windows update. Update is older "Urgent" version (0.1.4), not the most recent "recommended" update (0.1.5)

I can't find the specifics as to what this update addresses- I've always followed the advice to not update bios unless there is a critical security/functionality issue it fixes. Since this is listed as urgent (at least the older version), I plan to update it- tho clearly this must be done from the bios itself since it failed from windows?

Before I go further into messing with my bios, I would like to know what it is fixing, as well as how to flash it correctly- I am slowly making my way thru the philip yip dell clean install guide so I will likely follow the directions there for flashing the bios unless someone has a different procedure to suggest. I read some other threads about bitlocker disabling? Is that a necessity?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

July 21st, 2022 18:00

I am a little biased on the subject of BIOS updates. If you are not sure how to do an update or what the procedure is then my advice is don't do it. A BIOS update is recommended if you need it to correct a problem. If the system is working fine now then I would let it be. The forum is full of posts dealing with failed BIOS updates and bricked systems. Just my opinion but if it ain't broke...

14 Posts

July 21st, 2022 19:00

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

It's my first instinct as well- don't go breaking what works. Granted, it's a new system, so I dunno what will or won't work this early either =D The worry for me is that I was running windows update and it was downloading/installing it automatically, then failing to install from windows explorer. I'm planning to disable driver auto update/install from winupdate so that it can't happen again, even if I have to install all drivers manually.

It's really just a question to what "urgent" means - I did find the changes when clicking the expanded information tab- it specifically states the following fixes-

"Fixes:
- Fixed the issue where the BIOS does not update through the Windows Update.

Enhancements:
- Updated the Enable UEFI Network Stack settings under Connection in the BIOS setup menu to Enabled on the Inspiron systems.
- Improved the fan spinning speed to reduce the fan noise.
- Updated the thermal table to sync with the laptop mode and desktop mode in the BIOS setup."

The "fix" doesn't seem important to me (nor did it actually work when it was restarting after windows update), and only the UEFI settings are the only thing that strike me as possibly important- and that is listed under "enhancement", not a "fix". To that end, I'm thinking to leave it alone and keep the base bios and not fuxor myself. Again- unless anyone knows for sure that this is necessary to get my system running? I was able to start the clean install process from a USB, with no problem, so at this point I'm concluding leaving well enough alone.

14 Posts

July 21st, 2022 20:00

sorry, posted my reply overall, rather than replying to yours directly! but again, thanks for the quick reply!

No Events found!