Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2019 11:00

Question about Integrated and dedicated GPU (5567)

I recently own a Dell Inspiron 15 5567 (i7 7500u, 8GB Ram and Radeon R7 M445). So as far as i know (reading from the community) the dedicated GPU (AMD one) is more like a co-procesor of the Intel i7 (so cannot be the primary GPU). 

Today I was checking the GPU in some games, but I minimize the window (to check if the GPU was running) and I realize both GPU were having the same lines and the same usage, (GPU 0 and GPU 1) althrough I set the game to launch from the Radeon Panel and I have set the Radeon Profile of the game to high performance. 

So my question is: Is this normal? since the game was playing fine (good fps) I guess so. But I want to be sure that this is the normal behavior of the AMD GPU. Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 1st, 2019 13:00

@NintenDOS  what I mean is that Task Manager might not be reporting accurate information that reflects what's actually going on.  As I said, when GPU monitoring feature was first added to Task Manager, which was relatively recent, on some systems it would never report ANY activity on the discrete GPU even when it was obviously active.  So it's possible that what you're seeing in Task Manager isn't an accurate representation of what's actually going on with the hardware.  But in any case, if the display(s) you're using are physically wired to the Intel GPU within the system, then the Intel GPU will need to stay active in order to pass the rendered video frames it receives from the dGPU out to the display(s).  But if Task Manager is showing exactly the same level of activity on both the Intel and discrete GPUs, that sounds suspicious to me, which again leads me to think that this might be incorrect reporting of what's happening.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 1st, 2019 12:00

If you're looking in Task Manager, the GPU activity monitor is a relatively new addition that got added I think with Windows 10 1809 (not certain about that), and it seems like it might not be getting utilized properly.  For example, some users found that the discrete GPU never showed any activity even when it was clearly running, so I wouldn't be surprised if the behavior you're seeing doesn't quite match actual utilization.  You could also try comparing what you see in Task Manager to the output from a utility such as GPU-Z, which has been around for a long time and provides a lot of interesting information about GPU activity, including load level.

5 Posts

Hi @jphughan i'm not quite sure what you mean, but what I said is that when I'm Playing games, both GPU (AMD one and Intel one) have the exactly same activity in the task manager. Although I thought only the AMD One would have activity... and I want to know if this behavior is normal in the laptop.

5 Posts

I would check it with GPU-Z later then, and see what happens then, thanks for the reply

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 1st, 2019 14:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @NintenDOS 

Task Manager is very limited.

But when using Task Manager go to the "View" tab and set "Update Speed" to "High"

Best regards,

U2

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 12:00

Thank you all for the replies, I check the GPU usage with GPU-Z as @jphughan said and I could see the AMD GPU was working well 900 to 1000Mhz (the game was not that demanding). So I guess everything must be correct. 

No Events found!