Highlighted
1 Copper

Question about replacing the HDD in a G7 17 7790: Accidental Damage Services?

Hi all,

Yesterday I ordered a G7 17 7990 directly from Dell. There was a sale in The Netherlands, so I was able to get a good deal on the i7-9750H with the RTX 2070 Max-Q GPU (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/deals/dell-g7-17-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-17-7790-laptop/gn7790dmu...).

The only thing I'm not super excited about is the 1TB HDD with only 5400 rpm. I read online that it was relatively easy to replace the HDD (I also found instructions on how to do it in the G7 17 maintenance manual on the Dell website). I was considering replacing it with a SATA 2.5'' 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500, it's 7mm so it should fit).

I'm not too worried about physically replacing the hard drive (although I would welcome any pointers, since this will be the first time that I'm replacing components in a laptop instead of a desktop computer). I actually had a different concern/question: with the order I also got a 3-year plan for premium support and the accidental damage service. I fully understand that any HDD/SDD I replace would not fall under the original warranty, nor the Accidental Damage Service. However, I was wondering: if I open up this laptop and/or replace the HDD, does that void the warranty and/or Accidental Damage Service for the entire laptop? Or just the component that I'd replace? And does it matter if the new SSD is not a Dell product (since they don't exactly sell the cheapest SSDs)?

Anyone any idea? Thanks..!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos