Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2018 13:00

Question to Dell Does Inspiron 15 3567 have TPM chip or not?

Hello,

I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 15 3567 and the service replaced my motherboard (mainboard) due to some issues with the sound card. When starting the computer, I was prompted to provide the BitLocker password used to encrypt the hard drive. This didn't happen before because the BitLocker was set to use the TPM hardware. I entered BIOS and to my surprise, TPM option disappeared from BIOS. I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version but this didn't change anything.

I took the laptop back in service and ask them to make sure they put me back the TMP HW/chip but they replied that, after talking with Dell, Dell said this model doesn't come with TPM!!!

I couldn't accept this answer and I went to the shop and I bought another identical model just to show it to my service but... surprise - this one didn't have the TPM under the security branch too! I returned it to the store and concluded that I am crazy and I was only imagining things...

But yesterday, looking on my cloud backups, I found the recovery key for BitLocker on this Dell laptop which clearly indicated me I was not crazy and the laptop was encrypted 3 months before sending it to service. I am aware that BitLocker encryption can be set without TPM but this cannot be done by mistake but with a complicate procedure involving the modification of the local security policy - which I am 101% sure I didn't do it at that time.

I have seen different community solutions for making this TPM option appear back in BIOS and I have lost a lot of time trying to solve it on my own but with no success so far. (update BIOS, remove BIOS battery, etc...) and I am sick and tired of this.

My QUESTION to you - DELL - is how can I get an official response from you that this model (Dell Inspiron 15 3567 ) 'has' or 'never had' a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) feature?

Community guys, can anyone confirm he/she has this TPM option in BIOS under Dell Inspiron 15 3567?

Sure, I look for an official confirmation - 'it has' - to show it to my service...
I want the Dell service to solve my problem, that's why I paid for a well-known brand, not to fix problems on my own. I have 5 different Dell laptops - don't disappoint me!

Thanks in advance for your time

George / Romania

4 Posts

November 29th, 2018 02:00

Yesterday I went to a showroom of one local reseller and persuaded the staff to enter administrator's password on Dell G5 15(5587) as the required commands need it. Guess what, it does have a TPM chip (Despite DELL representatives will claim it doesn't since imho their only source is documentation and it doesn't mention it)! See an output of powershell command get-tpm:

TpmPresent : True
TpmReady : True
ManufacturerId : 1229870147
ManufacturerIdTxt : INTC
ManufacturerVersion : 401.1
ManufacturerVersionFull20 : 401.1.0.0
ManagedAuthLevel : Full
OwnerAuth :
OwnerClearDisabled : False
AutoProvisioning : Enabled
LockedOut : False
LockoutHealTime : 10 minutes
LockoutCount : 0
LockoutMax : 31
SelfTest : {}

I understand Dell officially doesn't say anything about that but this proves not only the officialy confirmed laptop series do have a TPM chip. I tried to find it in the BIOS but didn't succeed though. I didn't know where to look exactly so I'm not sure whether I overlooked it or it really wasn't there. Also I'm not sure whether the fact it's not in BIOS would mean one wouldn't be able to use it although the TPM chip is clearly there...

Anyway, I would personally be pretty angry if they "repaired" my laptop and as a result the TPM wouldn't be there anymore. I'm afraid DELL won't give any official statement since the inspiron series officially doesn't have it :(

Good luck!

1 Message

January 13th, 2019 07:00

Hello

I have a Inspiron 3467, and in fact it doesn't has TPM. But when I enabled the PTT option in the BIOS, it let me enable bitlocker and tpm.msc showed a device when it previously didn't

3 Posts

June 30th, 2021 11:00

I have an Inspiron 13 5379 2-in-1 and all I did was enable PTT in the bios. All the TPM commands and and tpm.msc now show that it is there. I believe this may be a CPU based feature. My laptop has an Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz if that means anything.

Regards, Walter

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 20th, 2018 07:00

Very few Inspiron systems have had TPM support -- mostly those that were variants also sold as Latitudes. 

The 15-3000 series (and in fact all Inspirons in the last few years) do not have TPM support - certainly your 3567 did not.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2018 23:00

I beg to differ. My colleague bought a DELL Inspiron 7577 in February 2018 and it definitely has a TPM chip (see the output of get-tpm powershell command below)

D:\OneDrive\Scripts> get-tpm
TpmPresent                : True
TpmReady                  : True
ManufacturerId            : 1229870147
ManufacturerIdTxt         : INTC
ManufacturerVersion       : 302.12
ManufacturerVersionFull20 : 302.12.0.0

(another way to verify the TPM chip is running tpm.msc in windows run)

I tried to contact local reseller and he told me that according to DELL documentation only the following laptop series have TPM chips:
- DELL Latitude
- DELL Vostro
- DELL Precision
- DELL XPS

When I confronted him with the information above, he was quite surprised. I also found a DELL G5 review that clearly states it does have TPM chip. I undertook all this because I am considering to buy a new G5 and want the TPM there. Sadly the reseller wasn't able to confirm whether it's there. It's very sad the vendor doesn't provide accurate info, isn't it?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 29th, 2018 03:00

TPM availability can also be separated by market - there are markets where TPMs are not permitted by law.

The 3000 series is a bottom-rung, budget line - these absolutely do not have TPMs in any market.

November 29th, 2018 03:00

Thank you NovakM, I was asking more for a confirmation from a Dell representative but your effort in proving I am right is very appreciated. Indeed, the problem I had was caused by few BIOS versions which were not supporting the TPM (even if the HW exist inside the laptop). Fortunately, the September (2018) BIOS update makes the TPM discoverable again by Windows - even if there's no specific TPM enable/disable under Security branch in BIOS. Sure, there are some prerequisites (turn off Secure Boot, etc) - but... it is working! It is interesting that the Service told me exactly what Dell told you - no TPM for this model... even if I knew I was using it in the beginning... Thanks again for your support! George / Brussels (but you can call me Bond ;))

4 Posts

November 29th, 2018 04:00

That's a good point and certainly might be valid. For the record I checked a laptop in Czech Republic, Europe.

However, based on my experience (DELL channels will tell you immediately NO - this laptop series does not have TPM) I dare to have my doubts.

Also the creator of the question clearly stated he is sure it had a TPM chip before the motherboard replacement. I just shared my personal first hand experience to give him hope he is not delusional

In general I believe the answer he was given should have been something like you wrote and that in some regions even series that are not listed in the official list might have TPM. I found a list of models that have it according to DELL:<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Maybe they have a similar list for non-US countries but I haven't been able to find it...

4 Posts

November 29th, 2018 05:00

Good to hear you solved your issue Bond!

So the only problem was that after the repair there was a newer version of BIOS than you had before and it didn't show the TPM, right? I'm about to buy the G5 so I hope it will work after latest updates too.

It's good to know that even in lower series of laptops TPM can be present despite to what the vendor is trying to convince us about. I still wonder why...

Anyway, enjoy your TPM chip.

Best regards,
  Martin (but you can call me Zoro ;) )

1 Message

December 13th, 2018 11:00

Hi, I have the same dell team as you and my bios says that it has tpm and is currently activated, but when I execute the tpm.msc command it tells me that there is no such tpm, I don't understand, can that be resolved so that the tpm appears again?

December 16th, 2018 00:00

Dear Zoro,

Thanks again for your support; indeed, the problem was related to BIOS - few consecutive versions didn't have TPM listed. There is another post on this thread from a Spanish guy confirming he has TPM in BIOS - so yes, I am not crazy...
Should you bump into a similar problem you could downgrade the BIOS to a supporting version. I hope it won't be the case for you.
I want to share with you an interesting finding discovered when upgrading the 1TB HDD to 4TB SSD. I have created a large C partition of 4TB, making it GPT (because MBR supports only up to 2TB) and, even if TPM was visible in Windows, I was not able to encrypt the drive using BitLocker because... it doesn't support dynamic drives! So, always use MBR! Took me 2 days to understand this... :(
Best regards,

Bond

1 Message

August 16th, 2019 14:00

I believe that fvaldivial's answer is the solution to this puzzle.  More detail may be found at :

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iedhs1/how12395/how-to-troubleshoot-and-resolve-common-issues-with-tpm-and-bitlocker?lang=en

In particular, read the text around the section quoted below:

"

Some Dell laptops will be equipped with the Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT). This technology is part of the Intel System on Chip (SoC) and is a firmware-based TPM version 2.0 which can function in the same capacity as the discrete TPM 1.2 chip. PTT can be managed in the same capacity as the discrete TPM by Windows TPM.MSC.

In the case of systems equipped with the Intel PTT, there will be no option listed for TPM in the BIOS which might lead to confusion on how to enable BitLocker on the system if PTT is disabled. Instead, an option for PTT Security will show under the Security settings menu in the BIOS.

"

1 Message

June 25th, 2021 01:00

well my dell 3567 clearly states it has tpm 2.0.

Mnf name: INTC

version: 303.12.0.0

Spec version 2.0

3 Posts

June 30th, 2021 14:00

I'd also like to add that if you identify your processor using msinfo32 you can go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors and search for it, typically using ctrl+f in your browser. The AMD list is at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

July 14th, 2021 10:00

can you please tell me the step to activate tpm becaue i have the same laptop dell inspiron 3567 but in bios it is not showing tpm menu

No Events found!