Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 15th, 2018 19:00

Recover BIOS for Inspiron 5755

Hi,

Recently tried to do a BIOS update to an Inspiron 5755.  It got to a certain point and froze for an hour.  I finally decided to power cycle it...   Resulted in bricking it.  I have tried other suggestions found on the forums, but they did not work (i.e. holding END, Ctrl-ESC).  It looks like Dell released a version of BIOS update that fails with Windows 10....

Anyways it looks like the laptop does search the USB drive (LED flashes) when applying power and holding END and having the hdr and rom files on it - but nothing happens.

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Larry

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If you're comfortable opening computer and removing parts, I suggest reseating motherboard (coin-cell) battery by following the steps below. Before opening computer, please read Service Manual thoroughly in link below:

Support for Inspiron 5755 | Manuals & documents | Dell US

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals, AC adapter and bay battery.

2. Remove or disconnect the coin cell battery. 

3. Press the "Power On" button for at least 10 seconds to drain all residual power from the system.

4. Re-insert or re-connect the coin cell battery. 

5. Replace bay battery, adapter, power on system. Hopefully reseating coin-cell battery will reset BIOS to "Factory Defaults".

Note: When the system is powered on, it will warn that the date and time is not set, indicating a successful reset

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Also watch video below. 

Dell Inspiron 17-5755 CMOS Battery How-To Video Tutorial:

https://youtu.be/1qZW58OGgIM

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 15th, 2018 20:00

If you aren't comfortable opening computer and within warranty, I suggest contacting Dell Technical Support for assistance in the link below: 

Contact Information | Dell US

Dell out of warranty:

How to Arrange 'Out of Warranty' Repair on your Dell ...

March 16th, 2018 19:00

Already tried removing the CMOS and pressing the power button.  Same result, just a black screen on power up.  Note there is no Dell splash screen.  The power LED just flashes.

BTW - I have replaced components in laptops before so opening one up is no problem.

1 Message

March 28th, 2018 02:00

Hi
Did you make any progress - I am in a similar situation
Thanks
Mike

March 28th, 2018 04:00

No luck what so ever.

It sits there blinking like it wants to reload the BIOS, but either it cannot find the files or I have created the files incorrectly...

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 28th, 2018 07:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to look into this for you.

Please try the steps provided by LSUFAN51 & if the issue persists I will assist you with-in my support boundaries.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

March 28th, 2018 15:00

Hello Sreejith,

Please see my earlier reply I had already removed the CMOS battery and went through the reset procedure.  Since I am a very technical person that has been servicing PCs and laptops for years and I seem to be running down a long repeated conversation with Dell support before I can get to the answer that I need.  So I have decided on another course of action.  The laptop is no longer under Dell warranty, but is under a 3rd party warranty.  So it has been sent back to them for repair.

Larry

March 31st, 2018 22:00

I am having the same issue with the same BIOS update.   I've seen some other posts about it as well.  Finding it hard to believe that all of us just did something wrong and that there is no fault on the part of Dell or whoever wrote the BIOS.  ....seems like another faulty BIOS update to me, and I'm out a laptop because of it.

2 Posts

May 4th, 2018 12:00

Same problem here. Upgrading BIOS from A80 to A12, it got maybe 5 lines of green blocks through then the entire system froze. Now it's bricked. Trying to do a BIOS recovery and I can get the USB drive to flash like it's being accessed but that's all it does. Clearly there is an issue with the upgrader because Google lights up when you search 5755 BIOS. And of course motherboards are $150 used. Grrrrrr. Still trying to find the magic trick to get recovery to work.

When I hold down END and connect power - the front power light blinks for a little while then turns off and that's it. If I press the power button (with our without holding END), the USB drive flashes like it's being accessed but just sits there flashing forever. 

March 19th, 2019 18:00

Hopefully this will be some help as I figured this out on a customer's bricked Dell Inspiron 5755.

Assuming the procedure should be the same for the 5455, 5555 and 5755.

The key I believe was renaming the BIOS files to AAL12

Step by step:

Download A12 Bios (latest) from Dell from this link: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=XGT4J

open a cmd prompt, navigate to your download folder and from an admin cmd prompt run the following: 5455A125.exe /writehdrfile
5455A125.exe /writeromfile
rename the downloaded .exe and newly created .hdr and .rom files to AAL12.exe, AAL12.hdr and AAL12.rom
place above three files (including exe) onto a FAT formated (not FAT32 and not bootable) usb drive.
remove battery, unplug ac, insert thumb drive into left USB port (same side as charger)
hold down 'End' key while inserting AC adapter
make sure to get activity light on USB drive (no power if on right USB ports)
wait ~5 minutes, it will shutdown automatically
power on and cross your fingers

Good luck!

Chris

293 Posts

March 20th, 2019 07:00

Long story short.......You take a chance by updating BIOS from original factory install.  Any "recommended" driver updates for that matter.  

https://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

I hope you can get it back up and running soon.

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 06:00

To techlinecloud: Thank you, thank you, thank you! This worked great!. Just be sure to download and use BIOS A12 (the link in the description took me to BIOS A06). I was really afraid the computer was bricked. It is my wife's computer and she had asked me if she should install the Dell updates on the notifications that kept popping up.  I said, "Sure," figuring they was Dell's own updates and were safe. I didn't realize one involved the BIOS. Anyways, thanks again.

1 Message

May 9th, 2019 20:00

Thank you! Thank you :) Worked, a solution that finally works.

2 Posts

October 30th, 2020 17:00

Excellent Job

Your documentation is excellent as amended to use the proper A12 BIOS download from Dell

So terrible what the Dell BIOS update did to so many machines

Your solution is amazing and still works........

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much

No Events found!