Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2018 14:00

Recovery drive

When I made my 500 gb usb drive available for the recovery process, I knew all on it would be deleted however, I didn't know that it would no longer be available to use on my Inspiron desktop. I can see it on my laptop but not my desktop. Is this reversible? I only needed 16 gb and should have waited but had no idea this would wipe out my access to it on my desktop. Help!! ..and thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 14th, 2018 11:00

@ritkit03 wrote:
I do not see disk management in the settings folder. Can you guide me to that please.. thank you.

Right click the start button.  Go up the menu and open from there..

If you are not familiar, let us know.  But if the drive shows in the lower part of the window, you should be able to right click the partition and remove it from there.  It will no longer be a recovery drive.

Make very sure what you are clicking on.

5.6K Posts

November 13th, 2018 16:00

@ritkit03 wrote:

When I made my 500 gb usb drive available for the recovery process, I knew all on it would be deleted however, I didn't know that it would no longer be available to use on my Inspiron desktop. I can see it on my laptop but not my desktop. Is this reversible? I only needed 16 gb and should have waited but had no idea this would wipe out my access to it on my desktop. Help!! ..and thanks.

What do you mean you can "see it"? No idea what that means.

which OS on your laptop?

which OS on your desktop?

And yeah, the entire drive cannot be used for anything else.

Not sure why you thought differently! .

49 Posts

November 14th, 2018 04:00

Just dumb I guess. I can't see the drive icon - since you tell me that the drive is now useless for anything else, I guess which drive, which system no longer matters. I do however, wonder that there is not some setting on that drive that can be "jiggered" to reverse the operation. Thanks again for all your help.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 14th, 2018 06:00

A normal Win 10 Recovery drive is usable on whatever system compatible with it. I use one flash drive for my five systems. But you are correct in that the drive is basically configured in such a way it cannot be used for anything other than the recovery situation. You can, however, use something to remove the 32 GB partition and set the drive back to normal. If Disk Management doesn't work, Diskpart will.

49 Posts

November 14th, 2018 10:00

I do not see disk management in the settings folder. Can you guide me to that please.. thank you.

49 Posts

December 17th, 2018 12:00

I did manage to find the place you were talking about. Drive is all set now.

No Events found!