Genopot
1 Copper

Reinstalling Windows 10

Hi everyone. I want to reinstall Windows 10 Pro in my Inspiron 5567 for some personal reasons and I am wondering:

1. Will these Recovery Partitions and EFI System Partition be removed OR changed and recreated once I reinstall Windows 10 Pro?

Confirm.png

2. Or if not, can I safely remove them?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Reinstalling Windows 10

1. Depends on the type of installation you do.

2.  You MUST keep the EFI partition or the system won't boot (unless you plan to do the reinstallation in legacy mode).

The recovery partition for the Dell factory image isn't strictly required, but before removing it, make and test your recovery flash drive.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

When you step through the Windows Setup wizard and get to the point where you choose which partition to install onto, I would recommend deleting all existing partitions, with the possible exception of the factory restore partition if you really want to keep it -- but if you're comfortable reinstalling Windows from scratch yourself, you might prefer to live without it and reclaim that capacity.  When I do my clean installs, the first thing I do after Windows Setup loads is press Shift+F10 to open Command Prompt, then go into diskpart, select my target disk, and enter the "clean" command that marks the entire disk as empty -- then I proceed through Windows Setup.  The setup wizard will automatically create the EFI, MSR, and Windows Recovery partitions.  That last one is typically 300MB - 1GB depending on Windows 10 release and how many upgrades you've done, and it's not to be confused with the Dell Recovery partition that is usually a few GB.

0 Kudos
Genopot
1 Copper

Hi.

1. I plan to reinstall Windows 10 on UEFI Mode. Will it remove the recovery partitions since they took much space of my HDD?
0 Kudos
Genopot
1 Copper

Hi. Thank you for enlighting me. I'd like to do a clean install. So if I do Shift + F10 then do "clean", will it also remove the Recovery Parititions?
0 Kudos