Highlighted
grammy57
1 Nickel

Replace screen 5558

I have watched some Youtube videos about replacing the screen and they do not remove any components from the actual computer, they only remove the battery and the actual screen. Is that safe? The manual has you remove a ton of things before that. I'm not sure why you need to remove all that but it does and I want to do it correctly. It is an Inspiron 5558.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Replace screen 5558

It depends on exactly what you're replacing. If it's a non-touch system and just the screen, little disassembly should be needed.  If the hinges are broken - or it's a touchscreen, you 'll need to follow the manual, as you must remove other components to access the cables and hinges.

0 Kudos
grammy57
1 Nickel

It is a touch screen but he wants it replaced with a non-touch screen. Will all the components need to be removed? He took it on a plane and when he opened it after landing, the screen was spiderwebbed. He can still use it, but it would drive me crazy. Of course, the touch part no longer works.

Thank you

Victoria

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Everything on the top half needs to be replaced - screen, bezel, frame, hinges, antenna wiring, etc.  It will require a complete tear down and a complete set of hardware for everything above the base unit.  The parts are not interchangeable with the touchscreen version.

Also be careful buying screens for this model - some are programmable for LCD contrast, etc.  Check with parts-people.com, Dell, etc. for a complete list of the parts you'll need.

0 Kudos