Highlighted
garrro02
1 Nickel

Replacing HDD / Installing OS - Inspiron 11 3000 series

Had a problem with the old HDD and got replaced free of charge. After installing I didn’t realize I’d have to install the OS (Windows 10) but I figured it can’t be that hard.
For the life of me I can’t get the OS to install off a USB. A disc is not possible as there is no CD drive.
I keep getting an issue saying it can’t install on the partion selected even though there is room. I’ve tried deleting all of them to do a clean install but it is unable to delete them.
Labels (4)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Re: Replacing HDD / Installing OS - Inspiron 11 3000 series

garrro02,

Click the link below to watch the video on installing Windows 10 using the USB Key.

How to Install Windows 10 (using a USB key)

Download Drivers from the link below. Choose your system and OS

Support.dell.

Drivers Help

Driver Install Order

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Which specific model (i.e., Inspiron 3168, etc.)?  Was this a warranty replacement of the drive (in which case it should have come pre-imaged)?

0 Kudos
garrro02
1 Nickel

@jesse: I know how to install an OS the problem is it gives me an error while installing saying it’s unable to

@ejn63: it was an under warranty replacement. However after installing it and turning the laptop back on it was taking forever to load and eventually popped with the dell diagnostics screen with an error saying no OS present and turned off
0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Where did the install media come from?  Did you have a backup from the original system made with the Dell backup utility, or did you download the ISO from Microsoft and use the media creation tool to prepare the flash drive?  Are you installing Windows 10-64 bit on the system?

Again -- what model is this (Insprion 3168, 3142, etc.)?

Checklist for setup:

Legacy mode OFF

Secure boot ON.

I have a suspicion there's more wrong with the system than just the hard drive, but the answers to those questions plus the settings checklist is a start.

0 Kudos
garrro02
1 Nickel

Install Media came from windows creation tool.
I’ve tried both 32 and 64.
Inspiron 11 3168
Currently running memory diagnostic tool
0 Kudos
garrro02
1 Nickel

Tool didn’t find anything. Set the boot settings in BIOS and currently trying to install again.
Got past copying Windows files which it hadn’t yet before. Currently seems stuck at getting files ready for installation (been on it a few mins and still at 0%)
0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Does this system have a conventional 512G or 1 Tbyte hard drive, or a 32 G SSD?

0 Kudos
garrro02
1 Nickel

It has a 500GB HD.

From some more messing around today now when the computer boots gets an error on the winload.efi file or bcd.

I opened up command prompt from the repair computer area and tried the following from googling.
I ran bootrec/fixmbr and returned:
The request cannot be preformed because of an I/O device error.
Then ran chkdsk/r and returned:
The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is right protected

I noticed at this point that it was on drive X. I opened notepad and it’s called BOOT.

Back in command prompt changed it to c: then ran the same two lines as before.
Bootrec /fixmbr returned:
The request cannot be preformed because of an I/O device error.
Chkdsk/r returned:
The type of the file system is RAW
Cannot lock current drive
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives
0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

It's beginning to sound like your replacement drive is bad - that it has bad sectors on it.  That would explain the failure to boot from the factory image AND it would explain the current problems.

Press F12 at powerup, boot to the Dell diagnostics and run an extended (not just quick - this will take a few hours) test on the drive. 

My suspicion is that you'll find the drive has  bad sectors on it.

0 Kudos