Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

15 Posts

October 14th, 2021 13:00

Inspiron 16 7610 Touchpad, running list

Hi all,

As many of us are facing issues with the Inspiron 7610 touchpad, I have noticed that Dell has not taken a position on this and refuses to do anything besides forcing you to send in the laptop (and change out parts to no avail). Comment if you are also having the same issue or find other links sharing the same issue. Thanks!

7 Posts

March 31st, 2022 05:00

It's well worth soldering if your comfortable, I suspect bending the pins would be a temporary fix. Till dashrendar posted I thought I was going to have to give up and buy a new computer. I never thought shadows of the empire would save my computer.

4 Posts

March 31st, 2022 09:00

I tried the @JackNis  soldering fix this morning and it worked for me.  First time I have been able to use my touchpad in weeks.  I hope it stays like this.  Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

March 31st, 2022 19:00

Your posts were inspiring, so I tried the fix. Bending the tabs didn't seem to help at all - I was just mashing them down more so they would make firmer contact. Later, I tried soldering a wire like pictured above - THAT has shown some improvement. So far, no problems, and I've been using this for 6 hours. I'll update this post with any problem - no news is good news.

April 1st, 2022 09:00

Does this fix require that only the battery be removed? Or is it a more extensive disassembly?

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

April 2nd, 2022 04:00

2 days after soldering, so far no glitching trackpad whatsoever.

7 Posts

April 2nd, 2022 09:00

I took my battery out about two weeks ago. Every few days unplug overnight. This has

helped me a lot. If it gets to be more of a problem I will do the grounding fix.

Thanks for all the input>>>

7 Posts

April 2nd, 2022 16:00

I did this today, a big improvement. It was easy to do, Thank you for the post, Geat work.

24 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 03:00

Hi,

thank you guys for your rootcause analysis. I'm on my 3rd touchpad right now, and 2 months after replacement it began to fail - ironically, when I was reading this thread

From my experience I can confirm what has been said here. It is a grounding issue - that is why it is independent from the OS and possible to recreate in BIOS. Also I have not yet tried the soldering fix, as I'm tempted to just get a refund as this is the 3rd failure of the same component and I'm fed up with a total lack of Dell support on this (they just replace the hardware over and over again).

Last time the touchpad started to fail I asked my girlfriend to try it out - it worked totally fine for her and immediatly when I started to use it, it got erratic again - it all happened within 1 minute. Then I touched a radiator in my apartment (to discharge miself) and the touchpad began to respond in a normal way... 

It is a pity that such a small technial shortcoming has affected so many people and Dell is unable to come with an official fix... 

• 

25K Posts

April 3rd, 2022 05:00

Thank you for your efforts and patience. 

Please feel free to reply at your convenient time if any help is needed. We are open 24/7.
Thanks for choosing Dell. Have a wonderful rest of your day.

April 3rd, 2022 05:00

I stumbled across this when looking for a solution to this (I thought it was my bass guitar fingers just not working on the trackpad). I usually get the problem after a few minutes use.

I've just soldered the wire as in the photo and will use the computer for a few days and report back if I get any more issues.

Tony.

7 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 15:00

I did this and it works. Thank YOU

2 Posts

April 4th, 2022 00:00

Hey im having the same issue my track pad, im keen to try the soldering fix but im abit confused on what to do? i dont understand the picture @JackNis has provided. It would be great if someone who has done this this could show the rest of us how to do it.

7 Posts

April 4th, 2022 04:00

I did the fix two days ago and has worked great. PC on 8 -10  hrs a day

7 Posts

April 4th, 2022 04:00

I did this and it has worked great.

Thank You for finding a fix.

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

April 4th, 2022 06:00

JackNis you are a hero for figuring this out and sharing.

No Events found!