Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

3 Posts

April 19th, 2019 08:00

SATA SSD capacity for Inspiron 14 7472

I just bought a new Inspiron 14 7472 with M.2 PCIe SSD. I would like to add an additional 2.5" SATA SSD in the SATA HDD slot. However, reading the specs, I'm a little confused on the capacity.

SATA HDD: up to 1 TB

SATA SSD: up to 256 GB

I'm a little new to SATA SSD. Does this mean I can only get a SATA SSD harddrive with max capacity of 256GB? Why is the max supporting capacity a lot less than the regular SATA HDD in the same slot/interface?

Specs: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/inspiron-14-7472-laptop/inspiron-14-7472-setupandspecs/storage?guid=guid-8dc55e1e-94d3-486f-ba2f-47731e3e4b94&lang=en-us

Regards!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 19th, 2019 12:00

Don't worry about the max capacity spec. When that’s provided, it’s because that’s the max capacity that the system can be ordered with or the max capacity that it was tested with. That probably explains why the SSD max is so much lower. There are MANY examples of users successfully installing higher capacity drives than the specs for the system indicated. The last time there was a hardware or firmware limitation around capacity was in the Windows XP days when you needed SP1 and appropriate motherboard firmware to have support for 48-bit LBA addressing in order to use drives larger than something like 137GB. The only current practical limit on capacity is what manufacturers can produce and what consumers can afford, not anything technical.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

April 19th, 2019 13:00

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

April 19th, 2019 16:00

3 Posts

April 19th, 2019 16:00

Thanks @U2CAMEB4ME @jphughan for the quick response. Dell manuals do not indicate the thickness of the HDD, 7.5mm or 9mm. Any idea the thickness this laptop supports? This is the non-touch screen model.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 19th, 2019 17:00

If you’re installing an SSD, I wouldn’t worry about it. Every SSD I’ve seen has been 7mm, and practically every laptop that accepts SATA drives supports at least 7mm thickness. I’ve only seen one Dell model that could only handle a 5mm drive.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

3 Posts

@U2CAMEB4ME 

I bought this laptop without the extra HDD, so no part number, unfortunately. I was planning on buying a SATA SSD to add on. Wish Dell specs/manuals would give a little more details. Anyway, I can always return/exchange the SSD for the one with appropriate thickness the laptop supports. Thanks again for your response/contribution.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 19th, 2019 21:00

OP, if your system didn’t come with a 2.5” drive installed, be aware that you might have to purchase a SATA ribbon cable to connect the drive to the motherboard and/or a mounting bracket. Some systems don’t come with the necessary parts to connect a 2.5” drive unless it was actually ordered with a drive, although I’m not sure if that’s the case with your system model. So if you haven’t already, open your system and see what’s there. If you need parts, Dell Spare Parts can typically find what you need and sell them to you.
No Events found!