Highlighted
1 Copper

SSD upgrade

I recently upgraded from my HDD to an SSD but when I boot my laptop it says no boot device found, and only when I go to my one time boot up menu and select the SSD does it boot to windows.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: SSD upgrade

If you cloned your HDD to your SSD, it sounds like you have a system that boots in UEFI mode and the cloning application didn't register the bootloader file on the SSD into the UEFI firmware.  The one-time boot menu populates dynamically based on what's actually available on the system, as long as the bootloader files on the attached devices are at the standard \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi path defined in the UEFI spec.  The boot order list maintained in the firmware used for regular booting does not automatically populate, and bootloader file paths involve uniquely identifying devices and partitions.  It's not like the Legacy BIOS days where you just said, "Boot from this device".

In terms of a fix, I don't know what cloning application you used, but clones performed with Macrium Reflect Free usually work fine, but when they don't, Reflect's "Rescue Media" has a routine called "Fix Boot Problems" that can address this issue, among other possible issues.

0 Kudos