Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

4 Posts

March 17th, 2019 07:00

Screws Popping Out

I use my laptop for watching Netflix. My laptop rarely leaves my house and the only "exercise" it gets, is me walking it down to the living room.

But for some reason, this has happened twice, when I got up from my bed, there it was - a tiny screw sitting right on my comforter. This has happened before, so I have already come to the realization that this screw has come from the bottom of my computer. The first one came out of the spot closest to the CD drive and the second one that happened today came out from the hole closest to the mouse pad.

No idea why they came out. I don't even own such a tiny screwdriver.

I have no reason to think that they'd ever come out.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 17th, 2019 11:00

I can only think of a couple of reasons. Is the laptop becoming stiff to open, which can be caused by a hinge problem, in which case the torque motion could be loosening the screws. The only other thing is if you tend to place the laptop on the comforter and the bottom gets extremely warm or hot, that might cause the screws to loosen. Both ideas are way off the wall but something is causing the screws to loosen. I would be hitting a PC shop or hardware shop and pick up a screwdriver to fit the screws. Then check and tighten the others. And see if the screws that fell out can be installed and tightened.

May 5th, 2019 12:00

Update 5/5/19 3:30 PM

Just found yet ANOTHER screw has popped out. Found it on my lap desk.

Nothing seems to be stiff, nothing seems to be falling apart, but this is concerning.

5.6K Posts

May 5th, 2019 13:00

@LexieLyn94 wrote:

Update 5/5/19 3:30 PM

Just found yet ANOTHER screw has popped out. Found it on my lap desk.

Nothing seems to be stiff, nothing seems to be falling apart, but this is concerning.

Get a small screwdriver set (even dollar stores sell them) and use one to check the screws.

I have owned many many laptops and even bought used ones on eBay, and I have never had this sort of thing happen. I have never read of this type of thing happening before either.

2 Posts

October 19th, 2019 14:00

This happened to me also. I googled "screws fall out of dell laptop" and found a lot of people have the same problem.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 19th, 2019 16:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @DDMCFR 

This happens to all laptops.

Depending on the amount of mobility the laptop encounters will determine how often you need to tighten the screws???

The screws that are affected the most are the hinge screws.

Do a PM every month or two to prevent any damage.

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

April 5th, 2020 05:00

We own 10 identical Dell Vostro laptops.

They aren't almost never used outside of the office. If they've got 50 lid opening/closing a year, that would be much. Still, they experience the same issue as many other users of Dell laptops.

The screws are actually falling out without becoming loose over time. Some users think it is related to the screws that would be missing some glue and loosen themselves over time, but on all our vostro's, this is not the case.

We rather think that the torque applied to the hinge forces/damages the thread of the screws on the laptop side. You can't screw the screws back in as they will immediately fall out of the laptop again. We've even tried to temporary use screws from other places of the laptop and they'll fall out also. This is clearly proving that the screw thread within the laptop is the cause of the issue.

We've used one different brand of computers in the past and never faced something like this for about 20 years. We exceptionally purchased these Dell Vostro laptops because they were very well priced at the time we purchased them.

When you use 10 identical laptops, you can easily conclude that this is a conception fault and not a"wrong" opening of the lid by users. The hinge policy of Dell look suspicious and we interpret it as a confession of failure.

Personally, I can understand that engineering mistake may happens. This is fine as long as the producer would bear the consequences. But Dell seems too afraid of a class action or having to organize and pay for a wide callback of defective devices.

The cheap price we paid could also be seen as an attempt of Dell to eliminate their stock of laptops known to experience this issue...

For us, it would be complicated to organize a return or even a fix for these laptops, and we're considering their replacement. Of course this would be with a different brand, as we think that hinge problems are really a Dell thing...

4 Posts

March 25th, 2021 18:00

Same here. Using my laptop for 7 months, already one screw lost... 

1 Message

January 29th, 2022 23:00

Same issue with my Inspiron laptop too.. I am using it for my kid school with almost zero mobility and screws are popping out.. Now I check them frequently but still lost couple of them.. Prior to this I owned multiple dell laptops but never faced this issue but seems like issue with this model. Disappointed with this purchase.

February 5th, 2023 00:00

I just had to replace my G3 because plastic from a screw hole went into the fan and bricked my laptop.  So glad I paid for this laptop with cheap plastic.  I have owned dells for years.  Never had the trouble I have had with this model as with other models of dell.

No Events found!