Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2020 19:00

Seeking substitute for the Qualcomm QCA9377 wireless adapter

I have a brand, new Inspiron 15 Model 5584 laptop.  The Qualcomm QCA9377 wireless adapter has been slow and erratic and now has failed.  Gone through all of the troubleshooting steps I could find, including help from my firm's IT professional.  I would like to replace the adapter with one of a different make - perhaps an Intel adapter.  What would be a good, substitute adapter that would be compatible with this laptop? (I would rather deal with this on my own and not go through the Dell warranty process - too much hassle.)  Thank you !

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 21st, 2020 17:00

@gdm14569 

Is this your model???

Inspiron 15 5584:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5584-laptop/overview

Then that is your Driver Support page.

And those would be the drivers for your laptop.

And the Inspiron 15 5584 is listed under "Compatible Systems"

"Look near the top of the list."

That will give you an idea of the WiFi cards to consider???

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 21st, 2020 15:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @gdm14569 

I would start by looking at your drivers to see what Dell has as compatible WiFi cards.

Intel AX200/AX201/9260/9560/9462 WiFi UWD Driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=c2cn8&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-5584-laptop

Intel AX200/AX201/9260/9560/9462/8265/8260/7265/3165 Bluetooth UWD Driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=cdcdn&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-5584-laptop

The 9260 or 9560 would be a good start.

Best regards,

U2

6 Posts

When I go to the links you provided, they list an Inspiron 5580 model as compatible, but not my 5584 model.  I wonder if it would be safe to assume that the driver would work on my model anyway, given how close the model numbers are?

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi,

I have replied to you via a private note.

DELL-Gautam M

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 14:00

Your very welcome @gdm14569 

Regards,

U2

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 14:00

Yes. That is my model.  Thank you! 

These Intel wireless card driver options did not appear before, since I had entered my service tag # before looking at the driver list.  Apparently when a service tag # is entered, the web site automatically removes other options.

You've been a big help.  Thanks, again.

January 23rd, 2020 12:00

In mid-January 2020 after WIN 10 1909 Update and Dell BIOS update - bluetooth died. Computer is a Inspirion 5000 5593 running 64-bit OS and a Qualcomm 9377 combo WiFi & Bluetooth.  Toiled for days:  done everything recommended by Dell and Microsoft.  1) Download Drivers (correct driver:  Qualcomm-QCA61x4A-QCA9377-WiFi-and-Bluetooth-Driver_4747J_WIN_12.0.0.916_A33), 2) BIOS rollback, reset WIN to previous recovery date, restarted Bluetooth Support Service a jillion times, reintalled etc.  Nothing.  About to quit and buy a $15 Bluetooth 4.2 dongle and blow it off, then . . .

Read two responses from users who found one solution that worked for Qualcomm 9377 Dual WiFi & Bluetooth.  Enter 'Device Manager' in the Search Box on the Desktop (easy way) and open Device Manager on your computer.   See 'Bluetooth' in the listing?  Nope.  Just wait.  Scroll down to 'Universal Serial us Controllers' and double click to expand.  There was an 'unidentified' USB device among the three devices.  Noted what two users did and simply uninstalled that device and re-started the computer.  However, Bluetooth still didn't work and the bogus 'Unidentified' USB device (?) had reloaded.  Tried this before with no luck, so - I just disabled the mystery USB device.  Bluetooth reappeared immediately on the desktop Task Bar and in 'Bluetooth Devices . . .' the Bluetooth Toggle reappeared.  Re-started laptop a couple of more times with teeth gritted - Bluetooth continued to work properly and the 'Unidentified USB Device' had not reloaded and had 'disappeared.'  Also, before fix, in Device Manager 'Bluetooth' icon had been hidden and had to be displayed by showing Hidden Files.  After this successful fix, Bluetooth had reappeared in Device Manager listing as well. Success.   Hope this works for others.

27 Posts

June 15th, 2020 20:00

I have the same Qualcomm QCA9377 wifi/BT adapter.   As noted by many others, including in this thread, BT suddenly drops out and can not be recovered unless you power down, reboot, remove a spurious entry in the USB section of the Device Manager, and rescan for new hardware.  Replacement of the card does nothing to correct this issue (Dell replaced mine and it's still doing the same thing--others noted this as well).

I am considering completely replacing this card and have looked through the list of potential adapters for my system (Inspiron 15 (5593)).  The current card is a M.2 1630 form factor with an A/E key.  Looking through the list of potential replacement cards in the 5593 driver section, I can only find 2230 cards.  Although it looks like there may enough space on the motherboard for a 2230 card, will these cards work with the current slot?  Will the system be able to handle the extra width/pins that may be on these cards? See attached photo.

Adapter and slotAdapter and slot

HELP!

6 Posts

June 17th, 2020 10:00

Four months ago, I replaced the defective Qualcomm QCA9377 adapter with an Intel 9560 adapter on my new Inspiron 15 Model 5584.  The Qualcomm adapter was bad out of the box, and Dell would only offer to replace it with another Qualcomm QCA9377.  I'm glad I did it myself with the Intel adapter, as it works great, and I had been reading negative things about the QC adapter.  The Intel 9560 adapter is wider and has a different looking pin arrangement, but it fit just fine in the slot, and again, it works great. To locate a compatible adapter, I downloaded the "Setup and Specifications" manual (pdf file) from the Dell website for my model laptop.  That manual had a list of wifi/bluetooth adapters, and the list included both Qualcomm and Intel adapters.  So I selected the Intel 9560 from that list.

27 Posts

June 17th, 2020 10:00

That's very helpful..I have two identical 5593s and both are having the QCA9377 problem, even after Dell replaced one in one of the systems.  An Intel 9560 does look like a possible alternative when I view the list of alternative configurations for the 5593 so I'll look into that.

My remaining question is whether the slot in my picture matches the slot in your computer?  If so, it looks like the 9560 would be a good alternative to the Qualcomm!

Thanks for your insight and help!

27 Posts

June 17th, 2020 14:00

Another quick question..is the board you used the Intel 9260NGW?  I had a vendor measure the one he had for sale and he said it was 3x4 cm which doesn't sound right given that the specs call for either 12x16 or 22x30 mm.

27 Posts

June 17th, 2020 14:00

oops..I mean 9560NGW..NOT 9260

27 Posts

June 17th, 2020 17:00

Thank you once again for the information...unfortunately your pic also does not show up (Dell strikes again!) LOL...the two specs actually relate to the overall board size..1630 means 16 mm x 30 mm and 2230 means 22 mm x 30 mm...both product support pages for the QCA9377 AND the Intel chips show both sizes although I have not seen anyone selling the half size (1630?) board...based on your comments and success of using the 9560, I think I'm willing to take the chance and try it...it's a cheap adventure!  I am aware of the need to download the drivers ahead of time and uninstall the QCA board.  I really appreciate your help...this had been very confusing given the variety of boards out there...I'm inclined to go with Intel given that the system I have is Intel based...perhaps it will work better than the Intel/Qualcomm pair Dell sent me!

If my system gets fried, I'll just blame you LOL..just kidding!

Thanks again

6 Posts

June 17th, 2020 17:00

Yes.  My card is the Intel 9560NGW. When I was researching all of this, I also ran across two sets of specs, but for the QC adapter (not Intel).  What I concluded (perhaps wrongly, not sure) was that one set was for the QC chip itself, and the other was for the board on which the chip is mounted. Maybe the same applies to your numbers for the Intel adapter.  But if the Dell Setup and Specification manual for your laptop model lists the Intel 9560 as an option, I'd say that there is a good chance that it will fit the slot in your laptop.  (No guarantees, however.  I'm not a Dell employee or an expert. ☺) 

You made reference to your photo of the adapter slot.  I can't see your photo, but maybe I'm doing something wrong at this web site.  Here is a photo of the slot in my laptop (again, model 5584), but with the old, defective QC adapter card still in it.  It's the best photo that I have of the slot and may not be all that helpful.

old fauly Qualcomm wireless card Feb 2020.jpg

Also, when you do install whatever replacement adapter you obtain, be sure to uninstall the driver for the QC adapter and download the proper driver from the Dell website for your new adapter and install that driver.  But I'm guessing you already knew that.

6 Posts

June 18th, 2020 11:00

You're welcome !  

Yes.  It's not a huge monetary gamble.  I obtained my Intel adapter for about $26.00 on Amazon.

Good luck !

No Events found!