Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

July 25th, 2019 06:00

Series 7000 working extremely slow.

I have an Inspiron 17 series 7000 running Windows 10 that became so slow it was unusable. I wanted to share my findings to help the next poor soul facing this problem. I am an experienced user and I performed all the normal checks. First I disabled all extraneous startup programs. I then upgraded the Bios and Drivers per the Dell support tools. I ran diagnostics at startup and replaced the battery (unrelated) because it was neat the end of its life. Once Diagnostics passed I ran the windows System File Check (SFC) at the command prompt and repaired all reported problems using DISM (see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image) for help with this. After all this the system still ran extremely slow. I then installed CPUID HWMonitor and Intels Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility to get see what was going on. After much searching I found that the CPU clock speed was being throttled from 2.6GHz to .399GHz. This of course makes the computer run like **bleep**. Also I found that whenever the laptop woke from sleep it would immediately shutdown with a Event ID 86 Critical Thermal Event reported by the Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the newest Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework device drivers to make sure it was installed properly. This still didn't fix the fix issue. When the laptop was at room temperature it would startup and run very nicely for several minutes until the temperatures warmed up to about 113F then the CPU clocks would be throttled down to .399GHz and stay there. The Intel Tuning Utility showed the Thermal Throttling was the culprit. There are no newer drivers for the Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework and no way to adjust the throttling set points. I then opened the laptop blew out any dust and repasted the CPU and GPU cold fingers to insure the internal cooling and fan were working properly. Still this did help. I then disabled and deleted all the devices and drivers associated with the Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework. But Windows 10 re-installs the Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework Processor Participant. Finally I found help link which gave instructions to install and use a program HWinfo64 to control the laptop fan manually.Once I turned the fan on constantly and at a maximum the thermal problem was finally resolved. I hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue in the future.

1 Message

January 14th, 2022 16:00

Hey buddy,

thank you for this. What link did you find? Can you post it, please?

No Events found!