Highlighted
K.M.B
1 Nickel

Should i replace my optical drive with hdd?

Jump to solution

The matter is I want to add another ssd to to my inspiron 15" 5570, i5 8th gen. laptop with 5400 rpm 1TB 6gbps hdd. i had planned to to replaced my optical drive with hdd (which came installed in my laptop) and add a  250gb 860 evo samsung ssd to the hdd port. But I came to know that optical drive port is a 1.5 gbps port ( I think sata I ). Does it really matter as I also read that Hdd are unable to saturate SATA I? What should I do?

ps. I know i do have option of SATA III m2 port but i don't want to go with this option. 

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: Should i replace my optical drive with hdd?

Jump to solution

Some optical drive SATA ports use a slower standard, although I think they at least use SATA 3 Gbps even if they don't use the latest 6 Gbps that's found on the SATA port intended for the HDD.  I would be surprised if your SATA port was stuck all the way down at 1.5 Gbps though.  You might be able to get the info on your system's SATA ports from an applications like HWInfo64 if you want to check for sure.  However, you're correct that a single spinning HDD will not saturate even the oldest SATA 1.5 Gbps standard.  That translates to a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 187.5 MB/s, and laptop hard drives tend to run in the 80-120 MB/s range.  If you were planning to put an SSD into the optical drive bay, then I would definitely do some research into the speed of that SATA port, but for a spinning hard drive, it's not a problem at all.  Before SSDs, the only real reason to continue increasing SATA's bandwidth was to avoid creating a bottleneck when multiple disks were attached to the same SATA port through a port multiplier.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Some optical drive SATA ports use a slower standard, although I think they at least use SATA 3 Gbps even if they don't use the latest 6 Gbps that's found on the SATA port intended for the HDD.  I would be surprised if your SATA port was stuck all the way down at 1.5 Gbps though.  You might be able to get the info on your system's SATA ports from an applications like HWInfo64 if you want to check for sure.  However, you're correct that a single spinning HDD will not saturate even the oldest SATA 1.5 Gbps standard.  That translates to a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 187.5 MB/s, and laptop hard drives tend to run in the 80-120 MB/s range.  If you were planning to put an SSD into the optical drive bay, then I would definitely do some research into the speed of that SATA port, but for a spinning hard drive, it's not a problem at all.  Before SSDs, the only real reason to continue increasing SATA's bandwidth was to avoid creating a bottleneck when multiple disks were attached to the same SATA port through a port multiplier.

0 Kudos
K.M.B
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for fast reply.

I have thought to add ssd to SATA 3 port and transfer my HDD to optical bay. 

And also thanks for the suggestion of using HWInfo64 .

0 Kudos