Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2020 09:00

Slow Download speeds

Slow download speeds uploads are fine. I have a Dell 15-3567 Laptop. Hard wired -I am getting tops 93 Mbps and uploads are fine at 16.4.  I should be getting at least 127 Mbps according to my ISP.  I have smart Byte disabled or I would get half that speed. I tried this same download speed test with my wifes Lenova laptop and get 127 Mbps so I know it has something to do with the Dell Laptop. I tried this back and forth over and over with the same result. This whole time I have been blaming my ISP for months and they blamed my modem saying maybe I need to upgrade.... although my Modem is capable of 170 Mbps DL speeds. Now I know for a fact its the Dell Laptop.I called Dell support although I know my service has expired. I figured I would get some help since this has been a long ongoing issue. Dell Support was not helpful, a bit rude actually. I was speaking to someone from India. He said Smartbyte does not have any negative affect on speeds. We all know it does. I have fixed that long ago with disabling it as I was only getting 30 Mbps Download. After this conversation with Dell Support the other day I was a bit angry so uninstalled Smartbyte  completely from my Laptop.  It did not have any effect still only 80-93  Mbps DL. Also I have not loaded any software on my Laptop. It is stock. So some program must be causing this limitation that came from Dell. Dell Tech said it can not be hardware....but he also said Smartbyte does not do this and I have proved it was a BIG part of it and so has many others here on the forum. So maybe it is hardware,,,,WHAT is causing this issue???????

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 29th, 2020 11:00

You are perhaps not aware, but this system has only a 10/100 Ethernet controller - if you're seeing about 90 Mbps, that's probably about right for this system.

To get 127 Mbps, you'd need a gigabit adapter - which this model doesn't have.

See the spec sheet here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3567-laptop/docs

May 29th, 2020 13:00

I also spoke with dell support. It wasn't the agents fault but the support was worthless. They have no info on the Network adapter if it's 10/100 or 10/100/1000 What a joke!  Obviously it is a 10/100 card and so I thought it was important for those of you who have this laptop and have removed that terrible program Smartbyte that slows your speeds way down and then you come to find out now your stuck with no better than 93 Mbps download speeds and your paying your ISP for more than that...Don't blame your ISP blame Dell for not knowing what Network card you have because your issue is the Network card being only a 10/100 card.

Problem solved.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 29th, 2020 08:00

Do you have a 5G capable Wi-Fi router and if you do is the laptop connected to the 5G Wi-Fi and not the slower Wi-Fi connection?  Also what is the signal strength?  A low signal strength could cause what you are seeing.

May 29th, 2020 11:00

Read my post again. THIS has nothing to do with wifi or 4g or 5g or phones LOL...READ my post again. Another laptop is getting the speeds The Dell is NOT. HARDWIRED connection.

May 29th, 2020 12:00

You sir have just been PROMOTED!  Dell tech support is LACKING. You have solved the puzzle. I am very surprised that this Laptop does not have 10/100/1000 adapter. What a JOKE!

When looking into the system info I was not able to find any info about the adapter except for wifi info. Looking under Network adapter of course.

No Events found!